Even More LDS Trivia

JojoBag

1. When giving a blessing, we are taught to lay our hands on the head of the afflicted person. What is the purpose of laying our hands on their head?

2. Like Jacob's and Abram's names were changed (Israel and Abraham), so was Shem's, the son of Noah. What was his name changed to?

3. What three things are necessary to exercise faith in God?

4. Who said, “A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation?”

5. By what power do angels move from place to place?

6. True or False. The sons of perdition will be so few as to be numbered on one hand.

7. Is the Church a democratic institution?

1. It is to allow the power of God to pass through the administrator to the sick person.

When I lay hands on the sick, I expect the healing power and influence of God to pass through me to the patient, and the disease to give way. I do not say that I heal everybody I lay hands on; but many have been healed under my administration. Jesus said, on one occasion, “Who has touched me?” A woman had crept up behind him in the crowd, and touched the hem of his garment, and he knew it, because virtue had gone from him. Do you see the reason and propriety of laying hands on each other? When we are prepared, when we are holy vessels before the Lord, a stream of power from the Almighty can pass through the tabernacle of the administrator to the system of the patient, and the sick are made whole; the headache, fever or other disease has to give way.

Brigham Young

JD 14:72

2. Melchizedek

From this definite account of driving the "nations apart, when the ancient hills did bow," all reflecting minds may judge that man was scattered over the whole face of the earth. And with the superior knowledge of men like Noah, Shem (who was Melchizedek) and Abraham, the father of the faithful, three contemporaries, holding the keys of the highest order of the priesthood: connecting the creation, and fall; memorizing the righteousness of Enoch; and glorying in the construction of the ark for the salvation of a world; still retaining the model and pattern of that ark, than which a great, ah, we might say, half so great a vessel has never been built since; for another ark, be it remembered, with such a ponderous living freight will never be prepared as a vessel of mercy by command of Jehovah.

True Faith, Orson Pratt, Pg. 93 and Times and Seasons, Vol. 5, p. 746.

3. First, the idea that he actually exists.

Secondly, a correct idea of his character, perfections, and attributes.

Thirdly, an actual knowledge that the course of life which he is pursuing is according to his will. For without an acquaintance with these three important facts, the faith of ever rational being must be imperfect and unproductive ; but with this understanding it can become perfect and fruitful, abounding in righteousness, unto the praise and glory of God the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Lectures on Faith, Lecture Third

4. Unknown.

This quote was in the Lectures on Faith, Lecture Sixth. It is attributed to Joseph Smith, however, the author of Lectures on Faith is not known.

5. Faith.

“It surely will not be required of us to prove that this is the principle upon which all eternity has acted and will act; for every reflecting mind must know that it is by reason of this power (faith) that all the hosts of heaven perform their works of wonder, majesty, and glory. Angels move from place to place by virtue of this power; it is by reason of it that they are enabled to descend from heaven to earth ; and were it not for the power of faith they never could be ministering spirits to them who should be heirs of salvation, neither could they act as heavenly messengers, for they would be destitute of the power necessary to enable them to do the will of God.

Lectures on Faith, Lecture Seventh

6. False

Evidently many among us have made a dreadful mistake, but not unpardonable, in thinking that the sons of perdition will be very few. We have heard it said at times that they will be so few that they probably could be counted on the fingers of one hand.’ Where this thought originated we may not know. From the reading of the scriptures it appears that there will be a large number; are too many even if there were but one, for their punishment is most severe without any question.” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions 1:78.)

“What must a man do to commit the unpardonable sin? He must

[1] receive the Holy Ghost,

[2] have the heavens opened to him, and

[3] know God, and then

[4] sin against Him.

After a man has sinned against the Holy Ghost, there is no repentance for him. He has got to say that the sun does not shine while he sees it; he has got to deny Jesus Christ when the heavens have been opened unto him, and to deny the plan of salvation with his eyes open to the truth of it; and from that time he begins to be an enemy. This is the case with many apostates of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 358.)

“... this statement from the Prophet [see above] explodes forever the mythical fantasy that the sons of perdition are so few that they can be numbered on the fingers of the hand.” (Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 817.)

7. Yes

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the most democratic institution in the world.

Joseph F. Smith, Improvement Era, Vol. 21, p. 100.

2. I see no scriptural evidence that Shem's name was changed to Melchizedek. I don't think it is outside of possibility, but I don't think it is scripturally based. Did Joseph Smith receive a revelation that stated this? In Alma 13:18 it says, "and [Melchizedek] did reign under his father." So if this is true, was Noah still alive when Abram was alive?

From a quick google search, one source make it look like Abraham may have been 10 when Noah died and that was 68 years before he was called and gave tithes to Melchizedek. So one scriptural source implies that this is not correct.

Another source says that Noah died 2 years before Abraham was born but Shem was alive well into Abraham's life. After the death of Shem, Abraham lived another 25 years. This source appears more accurate in its timeline.

I actually like the idea that Shem is Melchizedek. Alma does not say that Melchizedek did reign under his father when Abraham paid tithes to him so there is no inconsistency there.

6. I agree with the idea that there will be more than a hand full (5) that will be sons of perdition. The closest reference to this idea (few not saved) that I have found in scripture is only a hope and prayer by Nephi in 2 Nephi 33:12, "And I pray the Father in the name of Christ that many of us, if not all, may be saved in his kingdom at that great and last day." Unlike Jospeh Fielding Smith, when I read the scriptures I don't get the impression that there will be a large number. But this isn't the first time I have disagreed with his written opinion.

"He has got to say that the sun does not shine while he sees it; he has got to deny Jesus Christ when the heavens have been opened unto him, and to deny the plan of salvation with his eyes open to the truth of it." This idea has begged the question for years in my mind, how is it that "every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess," even from those who will outright deny that the sun shines while they look at it?

The closest I have come to a possible answer comes from D&C 76:110, "These all shall bow the knee, and every tongue shall confess to him who sits upon the throne forever and ever;" This is referring to all those who will be saved in the kingdoms of glory. So maybe the sons of perdition will not bow the knee... I don't know.

2. I see no scriptural evidence that Shem's name was changed to Melchizedek. I don't think it is outside of possibility, but I don't think it is scripturally based. Did Joseph Smith receive a revelation that stated this? In Alma 13:18 it says, "and [Melchizedek] did reign under his father." So if this is true, was Noah still alive when Abram was alive?

From a quick google search, one source make it look like Abraham may have been 10 when Noah died and that was 68 years before he was called and gave tithes to Melchizedek. So one scriptural source implies that this is not correct.

Another source says that Noah died 2 years before Abraham was born but Shem was alive well into Abraham's life. After the death of Shem, Abraham lived another 25 years. This source appears more accurate in its timeline.

I actually like the idea that Shem is Melchizedek. Alma does not say that Melchizedek did reign under his father when Abraham paid tithes to him so there is no inconsistency there.

For the answer to your question, read "Lectures on Faith."  The answer is exhaustive, but it is in Lecture Second.

7. Yes

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the most democratic institution in the world.

Joseph F. Smith, Improvement Era, Vol. 21, p. 100.

7. No

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a theocracy.

(Cdowis lds.net 11/18/2015)

Look it up in the dictionary.

2. Melchizedek

True Faith, Orson Pratt, Pg. 93 and Times and Seasons, Vol. 5, p. 746.

Orson Pratt has been willing to share his opinion on many subjects.

To quote him is like quoting something I posted here on lds.net.

Edited by cdowis

1) Depending on your meaning, I'm not sure if I agree with that interpretation of the quote you gave.  That's like saying holding your arm to the square somehow allows power to flow through you when baptizing someone.  An ordnance is prescribed in a certain manner so we have a standard.  And when we obey that prescription from the Lord, He allows us to use the power.

2) The status of Melchizedek - Shem is uncertain in LDS belief.  See Old Testament Student Manual.  The belief is common in Jewish tradition.  But as a revealed truth?  Not so much.  The discussion starts about 1/3 down the page (search for "Shem").

4) Lectures on faith may have been delivered in print by an unknown.  But the lectures themselves (as attributed) were given by Joseph Smith.  Your question was "who said..." not "who wrote..."

7) If you mean "run via the mechanisms of political democracy", you quote is taken out of context.  Read the few paragraphs before and the paragraph after.

a) He didn't himself say it.  He was remarking that many people have remarked it.  Though he didn't disagree.

b) He was using the term "democratic" in a colloquial way, not as our current understanding.  He meant that we really do treat each other as equals.  Even the prophet is just a brother.  Joseph Smith himself preferred being called "Brother Joseph".

Dictionary: Pertaining to or characterized by the principle of political or social equality for all.

By that definition, yes, the Church is a democratic organization when referring to mortals only.  But you'll have to admit that we do not have "equality" with God.

Edited by Guest

The status of Melchizedek - Shem is uncertain in LDS belief.  See Old Testament Student Manual.  The belief is common in Jewish tradition.  But as a revealed truth?  Not so much.

Well, section 137 calls Shem "the Great High Priest", and Melchizedek has the same title elsewhere in scripture. Shem was still alive during Abraham's lifetime. I've seen some chronologies that show his dying after Abraham did. Nowhere does Melchizedek appear in scripture as the son of anyone. But Shem has a genealogy, both backwards and forwards to Abraham. Abraham was seeking for the priesthood from the fathers.

We do not have an explicit statement saying that Melchizedek's name was Shem (which means "name"), but there is abundant circumstantial evidence that it was. Keep in mind, that Melchizedek is a title, not necessarily a name.

BTW, for kicks'n'grins, "Melchizedek" means king of righteousness. He was the king of Salem, which means king of peace.

Lehi