LDS Trivia and Puzzles: How to Get to Game With Android

Jeremy A

. . . in channel #lds_trivia on DALnet. Get an IRC client and connect to bifrost.dal.net.

For those of you who use phones instead of PC's, there is IRC clients for Android and iPhone. Now, I don't have an iPhone, but I downloaded an app for Android. I saw apps that cost $4.99 and others that are free. I downloaded AndroIRC, which is free. I was able to connect to the game no problem; however, not everyone knows how to connect to IRC networks. For those that use an iPhone, I suggest to just search for "IRC" without the quotes in the App Store. Look at reviews and the cost and download one. Here's the instructions for AndroIRC:

First, the app needs to be configured. I didn't change anything, because I'm just trying to help people connect.

1. Press the three dots at the upper right corner. A menu will pop up.
  2. Choose Settings. Another menu shows up. Let's go through each one at a time.
  3. Start by choosing Nickname. Enter a nickname to be known as then press OK. (Caution: DALnet has the ability to register nicknames, so if a registered nickname is chosen, another one will need to be picked, but it won't be known until connecting to the server.)
  4. Next, choose Alternative. This is a different nickname that will be used if the first one is taken. Enter a different nickname and press OK. (If the nickname is registered, users have the ability to boot the person using the existing nickname and change to that nickname.)
  5. Ident is an optional one. It defaults to androirc. This name appears at the beginning of an address when connecting. Getting more specific will make it more confusing, so don't worry about it. Enter a third nickname then press OK.
  6. The last option is Real name. This one is optional, too. I'm not sure how users will be able to see it, but it's not easy to get. Enter real name and then press OK.
  7. Ignore Servers and Channels, because those options don't list DALnet's network.
  8. Choose IRC and look at its options and tweak with them if desired. The defaults look good.
  9. Settings are options to change for the chatting experience. It's suggested to look at the options and change anything desired; however, don't worry about this if it makes no sense. It won't change the ability to connect.
  10. Ignore Network, unless a proxy server is required, and that's beyond my scope of assistance. Also, ignore File transfer. IRC allows the transfer of files.
  11. Click on the arrow pointing to the left at the upper left corner. This will go to the title screen.
  12. Click the plus sign in the upper right corner.
  13. Choose Other...
  14. A dialog box pops up asking for the address. Enter bifrost.dal.net. (If it's difficult to connect to that server, irc.dal.net will connect to a random DALnet server.) Press OK.

The app will attempt to connect to DALnet. Once connected, read through the text that pops up. If the nickname is already in use, a dialog will pop up, asking for another nickname. Choose a different nickname and then press OK. This will only pop up if the nickname chosen is already connected to the network.

Especially keep an eye for a message from NickServ that says the nickname is registered. Chances are, the nickname is not yours, so type "/nick <nickname>" without the quotes and replace <nickname> with a different nickname. Then press Send or the arrow to the right of the text box. Nickname should be changed.

On the upper right corner of the screen, there's an arrow pointing down. Choose that and then choose Join a channel. Enter "#lds_trivia" without the quotes and choose Join. It will connect to the channel. If a message shows up that says when the next game will be and/or ops is taken away, you're in the right place.

Depending on size of the phone, text can appear fast when playing the game. If necessary, feel free to scroll up in the channel window to read everything and then type responses when prompted.

I hope this helps in regards to connecting to the game, and I hope to see you all there.

Edited by Jeremy A
Removed time sensitive information. Expanded title.