We’re Not Perfect — and Prophets Aren’t, Either

I've always been fascinated by Church history. As a teenager, my favorite vacations were spent in Nauvoo, Palmyra, and Kirtland. But as anyone who is a Church history fan knows, when you're looking up stories and facts about historical events or people (particularly prophets) in the Church, you're inevitably going to accidentally stumble upon some anti-Mormon material. One day, during my high school years, I stumbled upon something that really troubled me: in 1961, Joseph Fielding Smith stated that man would never land on the moon. I was distraught. How could a prophet of God say something that was completely false? I ran downstairs to my dad's office and blurted out what I'd come across. After letting me finish, my dad looked at me and said simply, "Well, Amy, that's why we don't worship the prophet." Those words struck a chord with me then, and continue to inspire me now. He went on to explain that prophets and apostles have their own opinions, and they're not perfect. They make mistakes. Plus,...

View the full article