Dating 14 Years Old?

Guest 374 TAW

It's a guideline from the prophet, meaning we definately should follow it, but it's not a commandment. I'm not a father so I know I wouldn't understand this, but maybe you should let this be an opportunity to let your daughter exercise her free agency?

I always saw it as a commandment, because my parents COMMANDED me to not date until I was 16.

And I'm sorry, but a 14 year old girl living in her parents house does not have the "free agency" to decide whether or not she is going to date. Agency doesn't work like that.

I always saw it as a commandment, because my parents COMMANDED me to not date until I was 16.

And I'm sorry, but a 14 year old girl living in her parents house does not have the "free agency" to decide whether or not she is going to date. Agency doesn't work like that.

We are supposed to honor our mother and father, so yes, you are breaking a commandment if you go against your parents. Good point. :) That's a toughie though when your parents aren't on the same page. What to do then?

As far as this issue of letting a person "exercise their agency:"

Agency is ALWAYS bound by CONSEQUENCES. Many people in the world today want to believe that you can do whatever you want WITHOUT consequences. That, I believe, is Satan's plan ("I will redeem them all" He that hath ears to hear let him hear). So, yes, this fine man's daughter may exercise her agency, but at the cost of whatever consequences the parents impose. My kids will be free to date whenever they want to, but if they do it before 16, it's coming out of their hide. :)

As far as this issue of letting a person "exercise their agency:"

Agency is ALWAYS bound by CONSEQUENCES. Many people in the world today want to believe that you can do whatever you want WITHOUT consequences. That, I believe, is Satan's plan ("I will redeem them all" He that hath ears to hear let him hear). So, yes, this fine man's daughter may exercise her agency, but at the cost of whatever consequences the parents impose. My kids will be free to date whenever they want to, but if they do it before 16, it's coming out of their hide. :)

QFT :D

We are supposed to honor our mother and father, so yes, you are breaking a commandment if you go against your parents. Good point. :) That's a toughie though when your parents aren't on the same page. What to do then?

What does a 14 year old need to do if she isn't agreeing with her parents? Umm, get over it and obey her parents anyways? :D