A Gentle Request

Jenamarie

And if someone doesn't know the answer.. they don't want to hear the question. And I think for a lot of Mormons.. they are afraid to say.. I don't know the answer to that question. Because if they did say that.. they too would have to research the answer.:)

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am awed by your dedication to seek further answers, rather than give up and accept the misinformation of others.

Some yucky stuff happened this past Sunday in Relief Society. I can't go into details. I am trying so hard to get over it and move past it.

I have no problem with a member asking a sincere question. We all need to be instructed and reminded.

We go to Church to partake of the sacrament. But we stick around for the other meetings to learn more about the gospel, or to be reminded of what we should already know.

However, there are some who shun questions. There are some who shun class participation. There are some who take away from the Spirit.

Luckily, our meetings are not the only place that a member's questions can be answered. Even when the meeting is over, we can seek those out who had sincere questions and share our testimony with them privately on the matter, and/or direct them to where they can search it out for themselves.

Sometimes, we have to go the extra mile to make sure that correct information is being given to those in need.

This may seem disjointed to the rest of the thread, if so, I apologize. I just had an experience this past Sunday that truly saddened me, but I also tried my hardest to make sure that I did my part in fellowshipping a member who had a sincere question/concern. I hope my efforts were enough to compensate for the other unfortunate happenings.

*SIGH*

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may seem disjointed to the rest of the thread, if so, I apologize. I just had an experience this past Sunday that truly saddened me, but I also tried my hardest to make sure that I did my part in fellowshipping a member who had a sincere question/concern. I hope my efforts were enough to compensate for the other unfortunate happenings.

*SIGH*

Thank you for your kind words... and no need to apologize.

I had an experience last Sunday as well. We were in the Gospel Essentials class which is for new members and those investigating the Church. The topic of discussion was Prophets and how we are suppose to listen to their council etc. I thought it appropriate to bring up talks and speeches by past prophets that have now been deemed by the Church as definitely not doctrine, and how we need to learn to verify what they are saying is doctrine.. or opinion. I am certain that this does not happen now as it did when the Church was first organized. The General Authorities are far more careful about what they say now a days.

Well.. there were some people that felt this kind of information need not be brought up. I began to wonder.. just when is it brought up? And when if ever will it be brought up with the new members? I have heard more about people leaving the church because they feel that they were not told about things by people of the church.. but by people outside the church. And I can hear their question: Hey.. did they tell you about........?

So because the only person that would have been affected by my revealing this was my girlfriend. I have been totally upfront with her about everything and it is much easier for her to deal with it now.. than later. But some of the people then approached her to question her about what was talked about. She let them know that it in no way affects her decision to join the church.

I don't know which is the right way or wrong way. I don't want to upset the apple cart either. I understand how the Church tries to put the "human mistakes" behind them and there is no sense dragging it out of moth balls to regurgitate it. But for new members.. it is not behind them.

On June 8th was the 30th year anniversary of the Priesthood revelation allowing all worthy men to have the priesthood. Nothing was mentioned in Priesthood or Sacrament meeting. The Church put out a nice video.. but that was about it. I guess they just don't want to talk about it.

I think the best way to handle such a situation in Gospel Essentials is to state that not everything a prophet teaches is doctrine. Doctrine are teachings that are taught by several General Authorities and in a current way.

At the Church website, they discuss it well: On Approaching Mormon Doctrine.

Some concepts included are:

The doctrinal tenets of any religion are best understood within a broad context

Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted

and

Some doctrines are more important than others and might be considered core doctrines. For example, the precise location of the Garden of Eden is far less important than doctrine about Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice. The mistake that public commentators often make is taking an obscure teaching that is peripheral to the Church’s purpose and placing it at the very center. This is especially common among reporters or researchers who rely on how other Christians interpret Latter-day Saint doctrine.

I recommend the entire statement, as it is proper for Gospel Essentials and your girlfriend, MrNirom.