Self-Righteousness on Parade

Snow

Aphrodite.. You are right... Kids can be scarey... I have 4 kids, ages 20, 19, 16 and 14... And I am usually scared outta my wits!!

But, in between the scarey times, there are moments of joy!!

(But being in a car with a 15 year old with a Learner's Permit, in NOT one of them!!)

Silver Girl

Guest User-Removed

And for those self-righteous types who don't know...

The Joseph Smith Building Memorial Building on Temple Square.

http://k43.pbase.com/u7/talshiarr/large/1258695.JSmithMemBldg.jpg

... was financed by selling liquor to non-Mormons. It had the largest bar in the Rocky Mountains in the basement.

From a Hugh Nibley Biography, about his Grandfather Charles Nibley...

"...and he raised the funds necessary to construct the Church Administration Building at 47 East South Temple and the Hotel Utah just west of it. Finishing the Hotel Utah, however, required a loan of $2 million. Charles successfully negotiated the loan with a New York bank, which pleased President Smith until he heard the terms: The money would have to be paid back in two years. "Charley, what have you done?" he exclaimed. "How in the world will we ever pay it back on time?' Charles had already though through the problem. "I'm going to build the largest and finest bar in the West in the basement of the Hotel, and we'll see that we will pay off every penny of that debt," he assured President Smith. Charles got the bar, and the Church repaid its loan on time..."

Hugh Nibley: A Consecrated Life, by Boyd Jay Petersen. Pg 12-13

Time to pile up those Hilton Rewards...eh...Fiannan???

bwahahahahaha

Now that has nothing to do with Paris Hilton I assume.:D

I am just wondering, do the Marriotts know of the movies you can order at their establishments? I mean 'ol Mitt was on their board for years and seemed not to know about it. :rolleyes:

Guest User-Removed

Now that has nothing to do with Paris Hilton I assume.:D

I am just wondering, do the Marriotts know of the movies you can order at their establishments? I mean 'ol Mitt was on their board for years and seemed not to know about it. :rolleyes:

and your point is?????

I love folks...and this isn't directed towards you, Fiannan, who love to slag Latter Day Saints like the Marriott's and Romney's...In between their insufferable sucking up to the likes of Rocky Anderson...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and your point is?????

I love folks...and this isn't directed towards you, Fiannan, who love to slag Latter Day Saints like the Marriott's and Romney's...In between their insufferable sucking up to the likes of Rocky Anderson...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nah, I took a lot of flak over at Latest Articles defending Mitt Romney and the LDS people there. I just have this nasty habit of poking fun even at the people I support. I like Bush but have sent parodies to friends of Bush all the time. I am an American but sometimes love to tell American jokes too.

Guest User-Removed

Nah, I took a lot of flak over at Latest Articles defending Mitt Romney and the LDS people there. I just have this nasty habit of poking fun even at the people I support. I like Bush but have sent parodies to friends of Bush all the time. I am an American but sometimes love to tell American jokes too.

I've yet to see you use humor...or our ability to laugh at our foibles as a weapon against anyone. On another site I frequent, there are all kinds of Latter Day saints with their knickers all twisted up over the You Tube video of President Monson wiggling his ears...As I read them...the phrase ..."Oh get a life" circles in my head...

When we fail, or decide to stop laughing at ourselves, we slide down a slippery negative slope.

While I found the original piece by Orson Scott Card hilarious, I am somewhat chagrined that it was used in the contest to prove someone's self righteousness is better than others....

From a Hugh Nibley Biography, about his Grandfather Charles Nibley...

"...and he raised the funds necessary to construct the Church Administration Building at 47 East South Temple and the Hotel Utah just west of it. Finishing the Hotel Utah, however, required a loan of $2 million. Charles successfully negotiated the loan with a New York bank, which pleased President Smith until he heard the terms: The money would have to be paid back in two years. "Charley, what have you done?" he exclaimed. "How in the world will we ever pay it back on time?' Charles had already though through the problem. "I'm going to build the largest and finest bar in the West in the basement of the Hotel, and we'll see that we will pay off every penny of that debt," he assured President Smith. Charles got the bar, and the Church repaid its loan on time..."

Hugh Nibley: A Consecrated Life, by Boyd Jay Petersen. Pg 12-13

Good book - I think. Do you agree?

Guest User-Removed

Good book - I think. Do you agree?

I had high hopes when I first read of the Bio. Boyd Petersen worked hard, but I'm afraid he missed his mark.

The same quote is used in Nibley's "Approaching Zion" but I felt Petersen nuanced the quote in a more digestible form than did Professor Nibley.

Let me put it this way...I've had the Petersen Book for over four years and have yet to finish it. I purchased the Prince/Wright book on David O. McKay..."David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism"...and stayed up all night to finish it.

(BTW...Don't take that as a tacit endorsement of Lavinia Fielding Anderson who did an excellent job as editor...bwahahahahaha)

My mom and I actually had a huge argument about this. I feel that the choice he made was not the choice I would have made. Having said that, I feel like I have way too many things in my own life that I need to change to worry about what someone else is doing. Maybe it is bad of me, but other than my dh and children, I really don't care what other people are doing. They are responsible for their choices to God, just as I am responsible for my choices to God. And someday we have to account for them. I am teaching my children that we live a certain way, regarldess of how others live. And that quite frankly the way we live is going to be very different from others.

I also told my mom that if you watch entertainment that makes alcohol, or other things we don't participate look fun and good, how are you any different than the actor? Much of entertainment actually makes alcohol use look more enticing than the commercials for it.

But my mom is the type that loves to critisize how everyone lives and the choices they are making. People like this are usually the most unable to accept any critisizm about their life.

I am sure the actor knew when he took this job that he would get flack for it.

I had high hopes when I first read of the Bio. Boyd Petersen worked hard, but I'm afraid he missed his mark.

The same quote is used in Nibley's "Approaching Zion" but I felt Petersen nuanced the quote in a more digestible form than did Professor Nibley.

Let me put it this way...I've had the Petersen Book for over four years and have yet to finish it. I purchased the Prince/Wright book on David O. McKay..."David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism"...and stayed up all night to finish it.

(BTW...Don't take that as a tacit endorsement of Lavinia Fielding Anderson who did an excellent job as editor...bwahahahahaha)

Hmmm, I got a signed copy via the mail from Benchmark books and read it immediately. I finished it in a week or so. I have a personal interest in the subject matter and enjoyed it very much. I can't say how good it would be for without as much personal interest.

Guest User-Removed
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Hmmm, I got a signed copy via the mail from Benchmark books and read it immediately. I finished it in a week or so. I have a personal interest in the subject matter and enjoyed it very much. I can't say how good it would be for without as much personal interest.

It is a pretty awesome book(if you're referring to the McKay book)...Like you, I enjoyed it immensely...Curt and crew over at Benchmark do a stand up job. I have to be careful when I'm there, lest I overdraft all of my credit cards...bwahahahahahahahahahaha...

There's another book store near downtown SL, that also doubles as a billards repair shop. The proprietor has a large selection of 1st editions...

Edited by MyDogSkip