saving ordinance Melchezidich priesthood

falisrm

Do we ordain ancestors in the melchezidick priesthood in the temple. I can't remember if we do that or not. In which part would we ordain people to the priesthood and i wanted to clarify its not a saving ordinance or a requirement for heaven to actually hold the priesthood.

We do. We confer, by proxy, the Melchizedek priesthood, and ordain them to the office of elder. This is done for deceased males right after the ordinance of baptism and confirmation has been vicariously performed.

Regards,

Vanhin

What Hemi said. :)

Edited by Vanhin
Added ps.

and I'm telling them its not a saving ordinance. It's just an ordinance performed. There is a big difference between a saving ordinance and just an ordinance. I always thought it was just an ordinance, otherwise the church will have major issues by denying the priesthood to blacks if its considered a saving ordinance.

"We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel."

While professing belief in the possibility of a universal salvation, the Church affirms that salvation is assured only on condition of individual compliance with the requirements established by the Redeemer, without whose atoning sacrifice none could be saved. The atonement wrought by the Christ on Calvary was a vicarious offering, in the beneficent results of which all mankind are made partakers. As to redemption from the thrall of mortality incident to the transgression in Eden, the sacrificial death of Christ met in full the exactions incident to the broken law; and none but Adam shall be held accountable for Adam's disobedience, nor for any results thereof. In the just judgment to which every mortal shall come, all conditions of inherited weakness, temptation due to environment, the capacity to choose and to act, the measure of knowledge to which the subject has attained, the meed of truth he has accepted or rejected, the opportunities he has used aright or wrongly spurned, the fidelity with which he walked in the light or the depravity through which he wandered in the forbidden paths of darkness,—these and every other fact and circumstance entering into the individual life will be duly weighed and considered. At the bar of God the distinguishing feature of Divine mercy will be, as in the affairs of mortal life it now is, not an arbitrary forgiveness of sin nor unearned annulment of the debts of guilt, but the providing of a way whereby the sinner may be enabled to meet the requirements of the Gospel, and so in due course pass from the prison house of sin to the glorious freedom of a righteous life.

There is but one price set on forgiveness for individual transgression, and this is alike to all,—to poor and rich, to bond and free, to illiterate and learned; it knows no fluctuations, it changes not with time; it was the same yesterday as today it is, and even so shall be forever,—and that price, at which may be bought the pearl beyond all price, is obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

Edited by Hemidakota

this is actually the first time i ever did not know a question or couldn't remember what we taught. Of course the priesthood is vital and important for just about everything but isn't it theoretically possible people can make it into the celestrial kingdom without the priesthood. I'm sure Christ would just be like, go get the priesthood or i can't use you.

and I'm telling them its not a saving ordinance. It's just an ordinance performed. There is a big difference between a saving ordinance and just an ordinance. I always thought it was just an ordinance, otherwise the church will have major issues by denying the priesthood to blacks if its considered a saving ordinance.

Quote from the book "House of the Lord" by Elder James E. Talmage remarked;

Among the numerous sects and churches professing Christianity, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints stands alone in the teaching and practise of temple ministration. The devotion of this people to the sacred labor of building temples and administering therein the saving ordinances of the Gospel has attracted the attention and aroused the wonder of both philosopher and layman. It is not enough to attempt an explanation of this singular and stupendous sacrifice by ascribing it to assumed and unproved fanaticism; the earnest investigator, the careful observer, and even the cursory reader, indeed, if he be honest, admits that beneath this devotion is a deeply-seated and an abiding faith. It cannot be affirmed that the Latter-day Saints build temples as monuments of communal wealth nor in the pride of human aggrandisement; for we find them thus arduously engaged even while bread was scarce and clothing scant among them; and throughout their history the people have looked upon their temples as edifices belonging to the Lord, and upon themselves as stewards entrusted with the custody of the consecrated properties. Nor can it be said that this Church builds temples as other sects erect chapels, churches, cathedrals, and synagogues; for the Church has the equivalent of these, and indeed the meeting-houses and places of public worship maintained by the Latter...

this is actually the first time i ever did not know a question or couldn't remember what we taught. Of course the priesthood is vital and important for just about everything but isn't it theoretically possible people can make it into the celestrial kingdom without the priesthood. I'm sure Christ would just be like, go get the priesthood or i can't use you.

Again, only vital to those who received the Celestial state of glory. According to President Joseph Fielding Smith, anything less than that state is not required. We still do the work for all the brethren, having the faith and hope, they will accept the works and be worthy enough to receive the saving ordinances in the next life.

Falisrm. IT IS a saving ordinance, just like baptism, confirmation, temple ordinances, and marriage in the new and everlasting covenant.

It is by receiving these ordinances, their associated covenants, and being true to them till the end that we can present our resurrected bodies pure and clean before God and enter the highest degree in the Celestial kingdom, where we will dwell with our families forever in the presence of Heavenly Father and his Christ. Which is the highest possible meaning of salvation.

Jesus Christ makes this all possible, lest we should boast that the work of our own hands have saved us. The ordinances and covenants of the gospel of Jesus Christ teach us the way, and the grace of God is made manifest to us through our faithful obedience to them.

Regards,

Vanhin

It is done after the baptism and HG confirmation within the temple.

This is done for deceased males right after the ordinance of baptism and confirmation has been vicariously performed

Actually its done right before the washing and atoning. We don’t have our 14 year old guys getting the priesthood. So only endowed members (male) can perform this work (Get the Mel priesthood vicariously)

And why we don’t remember where it happens at.

Of course the priesthood is vital and important for just about everything but isn't it theoretically possible people can make it into the celestrial kingdom without the priesthood.

For woman it isn’t. For men it is “vital and important”

is it a saving ordinance or not? I'm assuming it is not. it makes sense that its not a saving ordinance.

I was almost with you there! But we wouldn’t do it in the temple (which I know we do) if it wasn’t a saving ordnances. We wouldn’t I guess waste our time doing it, if it didn’t need to be done.

I guess the only void that I can’t figure out is when the Melchizedek was taken (and only Aaronic priesthood was here during Moses’s time) Do they still need to get the Melchizedek priesthood, or was it not required during that time? sense they didn't have it.

I always thought it was just an ordinance, otherwise the church will have major issues by denying the priesthood to blacks if its considered a saving ordinance.

At that time for blacks it wasn’t a saving ordinances, meaning the church still believed that blacks would be “saved” with out the priesthood, and with out some of the temple blessings. More we believed they still got to Heaven.

Actually its done right before the washing and atoning. We don’t have our 14 year old guys getting the priesthood. So only endowed members (male) can perform this work (Get the Mel priesthood vicariously)

Which would be in order right after baptism and confirmation. ^_^ Same thing.

Vanhin