A Unique & Fun Activity at Mutual

lilered

During a recent Mutual activity, the leaders decided to take all the kids over to a nearby McDonalds and teach them proper date etiquette. Several times the point was made that dating age is not until one reaches 16 years of age, however this excersise would help them when they reached dating age (for those who were younger). The kids were paired up by the leaders according to age/class and some redistribution was necessary so that yound men and women were in couples. Prior to going, dating etiquette was reviewed. Things such as walk with the date, pay attention to your date and not your friends, open and close the car door for the girl, open the door of McDonalds, order for your date and yourself, seat your date (slide chair), pick up your dates food and take to her, etc. Meanwhile we as adults monitored those we teach and critiqued the dates. The kids were allowed to order one thing from the dollar menu. We then returned to the church and held a Q & A as well as related our observations.

The kids really thought this was a great activity. Of course the older ones got more out of it than the younger ones. I thought it was a great idea as it taught the boys and girls things in a fun enviroment that they would not normally learn other than by watching their peers at school etc.. This gave them the proper tools and taught them how to use them.

Yesterday I took the deacons for an activity and during the process I asked them what they thought of the Mutual Dating thing. They all said they learned a lot and it was fun.

I pass this on as an idea for an activiity.

• 2 weeks later...