Hm... General?

Franken

Originally posted by Snow@Oct 10 2004, 06:23 PM

Yeah, my thinking is that if you don't want to read the threads/posts on politics then don't read the threads/posts on politics. That way we're all happy.

Obviously, don't read what you are not interested in. However, since this is sort of the "season" for politics, why do you object to more than the average number of posts on this subject, at least until November?

Guest TheProudDuck

A lot of people (OK, maybe just me) only pay attention to a couple of categories. If we break categories down too much, there may not be enough new posts every day to hold peoples' interest.

It got kind of quiet around here generally a while back, tho' it's picked up again some. It's not like there are too many posts in the "General" category to keep track of as it is.

And things will cool down after the election -- or after the Democrats finally dismiss their litigation trying to overturn the result two years into Bush's second term. <_<

Originally posted by TheProudDuck@Oct 14 2004, 04:58 PM

A lot of people (OK, maybe just me) only pay attention to a couple of categories. If we break categories down too much, there may not be enough new posts every day to hold peoples' interest.

It got kind of quiet around here generally a while back, tho' it's picked up again some. It's not like there are too many posts in the "General" category to keep track of as it is.

And things will cool down after the election -- or after the Democrats finally dismiss their litigation trying to overturn the result two years into Bush's second term. <_<

PD--come on now, come clean. Don't you think that if the tables had been turned, the Repubs would be doing the same thing? We need to stop vilifiying the other party for things both would likely be guilty of.

Guest TheProudDuck
Originally posted by Cal+Oct 14 2004, 07:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cal @ Oct 14 2004, 07:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TheProudDuck@Oct 14 2004, 04:58 PM

A lot of people (OK, maybe just me) only pay attention to a couple of categories.  If we break categories down too much, there may not be enough new posts every day to hold peoples' interest.

It got kind of quiet around here generally a while back, tho' it's picked up again some.  It's not like there are too many posts in the "General" category to keep track of as it is.

PD--come on now, come clean. Don't you think that if the tables had been turned, the Repubs would be doing the same thing? We need to stop vilifiying the other party for things both would likely be guilty of.

Cal: Re the tu quoque argument, no, I don't think so. Democrats, as a general rule, are happier with government by litigation than Republicans are. They consistently oppose efforts to make voter fraud more difficult, saying that it would "intimidate" people to have to show identification when voting. I have read, but haven't verified, that a substantial majority of people in jail for vote fraud are Democrats. This wouldn't surprise me, given the party's history as the pioneer of machine politics -- Tammany Hall, the Chicago Daley machine, etc.

It's true that there are some allegations of nasty business by Republicans, too. Apparently there was one voter-registration service that's been accused of discarding Democrat registrations. If it's true, people need to go to jail. I'm not going to justify that by saying "the other side does it, too."

The DNC has a memo out specifically instructing its teams of lawyers to file complaints about election irregularities even if none are actually known. That kind of thing is a new low, and suggests to me that the DNC has no compunction about dragging the respect of the electoral process through the mud for a marginal advantage.

My only hope is that Bush wins by a large margin, because there is going to be cheating and litigating on a massive scale if it's close.

Originally posted by TheProudDuck+Oct 15 2004, 11:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheProudDuck @ Oct 15 2004, 11:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Cal@Oct 14 2004, 07:59 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--TheProudDuck@Oct 14 2004, 04:58 PM

A lot of people (OK, maybe just me) only pay attention to a couple of categories.  If we break categories down too much, there may not be enough new posts every day to hold peoples' interest.

It got kind of quiet around here generally a while back, tho' it's picked up again some.  It's not like there are too many posts in the "General" category to keep track of as it is.

Cal: Re the tu quoque argument, no, I don't think so. Democrats, as a general rule, are happier with government by litigation than Republicans are. They consistently oppose efforts to make voter fraud more difficult, saying that it would "intimidate" people to have to show identification when voting. I have read, but haven't verified, that a substantial majority of people in jail for vote fraud are Democrats. This wouldn't surprise me, given the party's history as the pioneer of machine politics -- Tammany Hall, the Chicago Daley machine, etc.

It's true that there are some allegations of nasty business by Republicans, too. Apparently there was one voter-registration service that's been accused of discarding Democrat registrations. If it's true, people need to go to jail. I'm not going to justify that by saying "the other side does it, too."

The DNC has a memo out specifically instructing its teams of lawyers to file complaints about election irregularities even if none are actually known. That kind of thing is a new low, and suggests to me that the DNC has no compunction about dragging the respect of the electoral process through the mud for a marginal advantage.

My only hope is that Bush wins by a large margin, because there is going to be cheating and litigating on a massive scale if it's close.

<_< Great, here goes another political debate :angry:

Guest TheProudDuck

Frank,

Politics are important enough that something like a quarter to a third of the Book of Mormon is about the subject (if you count the stuff about war, famously described as the continuation of politics by other means.)

Originally posted by Franken@Oct 16 2004, 01:29 PM

:lol: haha, fine I'll quit griping about politics. You guys have fun debating B)

There's not much I can really do about the nation at this moment (Hence I can't vote) so I don't really bother with politics all that much.

You should. Before you know it, you will be old enough to vote, and now is as good a time as any to start thinking about what you really believe in. If you wait until the day of your first vote to start worrying about politics, you will be entering the booth extremely unprepared. My 13 Y.O. daughter sometimes gets more upset about politics than I do, and she has 5 years before she can vote. You should have heard her yelling at John Kerry on the TV the other night when the debate was on, she was fuming about his comments.

Originally posted by john doe+Oct 16 2004, 04:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (john doe @ Oct 16 2004, 04:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Franken@Oct 16 2004, 01:29 PM

:lol: haha, fine I'll quit griping about politics.  You guys have fun debating  B)

There's not much I can really do about the nation at this moment (Hence I can't vote) so I don't really bother with politics all that much.

You should. Before you know it, you will be old enough to vote, and now is as good a time as any to start thinking about what you really believe in. If you wait until the day of your first vote to start worrying about politics, you will be entering the booth extremely unprepared. My 13 Y.O. daughter sometimes gets more upset about politics than I do, and she has 5 years before she can vote. You should have heard her yelling at John Kerry on the TV the other night when the debate was on, she was fuming about his comments.

The only way I could ever see myself making a difference in politics, is if I was helping them campaign, and convincing other people to vote for them. Other than that, my single vote alone, just seems so... miniscule...

The only way your vote or voice becomes less than someone else's is if you refuse to use it. Why not educate yourself about an issue and form an opinion as to whether it's the right thing to do?

I suggest you engage in this type of stuff right now and don't realize it. Do you have friends? Do you talk about stuff? Do you make points about whether smoking or drinking or premarital sex are right or good for you? Do you try to convince others that your way of doing things works for you? You may not see it, but these are all related in some way to politics. Voting is how we share our opinion on someone or their policies. And if you feel strongly about something, you should be actively engaged in doing something about it.

I get sick of politics myself. I can't wait for the election to be over so the garbage that's being thrown around can slow down just a little. But in the meantime I can help others see my point of view, and who knows, maybe I can convince them to see the light. If we just sit back and let others run the show, we don't have the right to complain about the outcomes, because we did nothing to try to stop it.

I've beem saying I will not vote, because it won't count, but these guys make some good arguments for why we should vote anyway. If I believed in one party over the other, I would vote...yes, even in Utah, just to make a statement.

C'mon, be honest. The reason you're not going to vote this year is that you missed the registraion deadline.

I have survived (and actually improved my life) during the last four years...so Bush can't be that bad FOR ME. I have no reason to believe Kerry will make it better or worse. I am not informed enough to know if one will be better than the other...because all the information that I have is biased one way or the other.

OKay, I just don't want to hear you whining down the road how bad things are in the future. People who refuse to vote should have no right to complain about things.

I guess my point is that NOT VOTING is making the statement "I am happy with the way things are, or at least I don't think they can get much better than this".

Or it's could be your way of justifying your failure to educate yourself on the issues. Do you really have no opinion on anything?

Originally posted by john doe@Oct 24 2004, 10:19 PM

Hey Unorthodox, I just heard on the news that Utah's voter registration deadline is tomorrow, the 25th of October, so you can go to the county offices and register to cancel out my vote. ;););)

I registered to vote for the very first time (after being eligible to vote for 10 years now) to vote against Utah's proposition 3.