Temple Garments

Guest jackvance88

Guest jackvance88

went to buy some the other day but the lady told me i couldn't because my temple recommend expired six months ago. is that right? do i need to quit wearing them? don't feel right getting it now due to 0 months in the past year of either praying or reading the scriptures. i have gotten rid of my old ones. back to boxers? i never knew that to be the rule. heck, i might as well quit going to church if i'm not worthy.

Guest Unorthodox

Originally posted by jackvance88@Oct 18 2004, 01:17 PM

went to buy some the other day but the lady told me i couldn't because my temple recommend expired six months ago. is that right? do i need to quit wearing them? don't feel right getting it now due to 0 months in the past year of either praying or reading the scriptures. i have gotten rid of my old ones. back to boxers? i never knew that to be the rule. heck, i might as well quit going to church if i'm not worthy.

It is a new rule...I believe it was to discourage anti-Mormons from buying the garments and waving them around in public.

Guest jackvance88
Originally posted by Unorthodox+Oct 18 2004, 01:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Unorthodox @ Oct 18 2004, 01:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jackvance88@Oct 18 2004, 01:17 PM

went to buy some the other day but the lady told me i couldn't because my temple recommend expired six months ago.  is that right?  do i need to quit wearing them?  don't feel right getting it now due to 0 months in the past year of either praying or reading the scriptures.  i have gotten rid of my old ones.  back to boxers? i never knew that to be the rule. heck, i might as well quit going to church if i'm not worthy.

It is a new rule...I believe it was to discourage anti-Mormons from buying the garments and waving them around in public.

so. does that mean if i don't have a current recommend that i don't wear my garments??

honestly, i don't feel worthy to get my recommend right now, but at the same time i haven't done anything bad! i thought wearing the garments was a commandment, but how can i do that if i can't buy new ones. i have a friend who was put on church probation last year, yet his bishop counseled him to keep wearing his garments.

i'm confused.

So... he has to either wear old underwear or get a friend to buy them for him. Oh. OK.

But... surely his friend would not be able to buy them for him, as that would be aiding him in obtaining the TGs even though the LDS church believes he is not worthy enough to buy them, or even maybe not worthy enough to wear them? :unsure::blink:

Guest Unorthodox

I found it...

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_159184331.html

"While the church made no specific reference to the sale of garments on ebay, shoppers must now present a current LDS temple recommend or their church membership number when buying garments."

So if you know your membership number, you should be able to buy them without the Temple Recommend.

Originally posted by Unorthodox@Oct 18 2004, 03:51 PM

I found it...

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_159184331.html

"While the church made no specific reference to the sale of garments on ebay, shoppers must now present a current LDS temple recommend or their church membership number when buying garments."

So if you know your membership number, you should be able to buy them without the Temple Recommend.

Jack, the above is correct. Your ward membership clerk can give you your membership number.

Guest curvette

Ditto! You do NOT need a current recommend to buy garments. You can get your membership number from your ward clerk. That's all you need. They just want to verify that you are an endowed member. They have no interest in whether or not your recommend is current. (if they do, they are just being nosy, as people sometimes are :) )

Oh, BTW--you can order them online from the church distribution center. That's what I do, as our local store is ALWAYS out of the 100% cotton ones.

Originally posted by jackvance88+Oct 18 2004, 02:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jackvance88 @ Oct 18 2004, 02:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Unorthodox@Oct 18 2004, 01:51 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--jackvance88@Oct 18 2004, 01:17 PM

went to buy some the other day but the lady told me i couldn't because my temple recommend expired six months ago.  is that right?  do i need to quit wearing them?  don't feel right getting it now due to 0 months in the past year of either praying or reading the scriptures.  i have gotten rid of my old ones.  back to boxers? i never knew that to be the rule. heck, i might as well quit going to church if i'm not worthy.

so. does that mean if i don't have a current recommend that i don't wear my garments??

honestly, i don't feel worthy to get my recommend right now, but at the same time i haven't done anything bad! i thought wearing the garments was a commandment, but how can i do that if i can't buy new ones. i have a friend who was put on church probation last year, yet his bishop counseled him to keep wearing his garments.

i'm confused.

I have to say I am confused myself. I am not sure that if you no longer want to pray or study the scriptures, what difference it makes to wear garments. I know this is a bit callous and unsympathitic, but why do you know longer pray or study?

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Fatboy@Oct 18 2004, 07:11 PM

I have to say I am confused myself. I am not sure that if you no longer want to pray or study the scriptures, what difference it makes to wear garments. I know this is a bit callous and unsympathitic, but why do you know longer pray or study?

So if a person is dragging in their spirituality and is slacking in some areas, do you propose that they give up living their religion altogether?

Originally posted by Jenda@Oct 18 2004, 06:29 PM

You're not being censored. You're being moderated. And yes, you are still being moderated.

Do RLDS have to wear garments too, and for what amount of time is this power trip to continue?

Originally posted by Jenda@Oct 18 2004, 06:29 PM

You're not being censored. You're being moderated. And yes, you are still being moderated.

"We prescreen your posts to make sure you don't say anything that we don't think you should say" = not censorship. Thank you for the quibbling....errr....clarification.

Originally posted by bat+Oct 18 2004, 08:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bat @ Oct 18 2004, 08:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Oct 18 2004, 06:29 PM

You're not being censored.  You're being moderated.  And yes, you are still being moderated.

Do RLDS have to wear garments too, and for what amount of time is this power trip to continue?

No, and I don't know. Would you like me to take it up with the powers that be?

Originally posted by bat+Oct 18 2004, 08:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bat @ Oct 18 2004, 08:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Oct 18 2004, 06:29 PM

You're not being censored.  You're being moderated.  And yes, you are still being moderated.

"We prescreen your posts to make sure you don't say anything that we don't think you should say" = not censorship. Thank you for the quibbling....errr....clarification.

Well, it depends on your definition of censored, then. Everyone on the board is censored to some extent. There are just some words and phrases that I just don't like to see on a Christian board, so, when I see them, wherever they are, they are history. Ask Snow. I censored his posts a lot in the past.

Originally posted by Jenda+Oct 18 2004, 09:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jenda @ Oct 18 2004, 09:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -bat@Oct 18 2004, 08:35 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Oct 18 2004, 06:29 PM

No, and I don't know. Would you like me to take it up with the powers that be?

Would you please? It seems that those powers aren't around much anymore, and don't seem to care (or possibly take delight in) placing fair restrictions for reasonable amounts of time on the contributors of this community. It's like they think they are bishops or satan or something.....I dunno.

Originally posted by curvette+Oct 18 2004, 09:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Oct 18 2004, 09:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Fatboy@Oct 18 2004, 07:11 PM

So if a person is dragging in their spirituality and is slacking in some areas, do you propose that they give up living their religion altogether?

FB: No I do not. I was a bit hasty in my answer. I finally got to read some of the other posts and it appears as you say that he is struggling. I just came over from a couple of boards and so when I hear someone struggling, it is usually someone with a agenda to criticize the church. So I apologize. Shoot first ask questions later.

Guest jackvance88
Originally posted by Fatboy+Oct 19 2004, 11:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fatboy @ Oct 19 2004, 11:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -curvette@Oct 18 2004, 09:12 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Fatboy@Oct 18 2004, 07:11 PM

FB: No I do not. I was a bit hasty in my answer. I finally got to read some of the other posts and it appears as you say that he is struggling. I just came over from a couple of boards and so when I hear someone struggling, it is usually someone with a agenda to criticize the church. So I apologize. Shoot first ask questions later.

i don't know whether i'm struggling, but i do know that i am lazy, very very lazy. i arrive at church about 90 mins late every sunday, pick up my scriptures from beside my bed every night and read maybe one line, and my prayers are incoherent mumblings which i make while actually flat on my back in bed falling asleep.

so, do i still need to waer garments? maybe not seems to be the official church response.

about this number thing - if i give them a number then i guess it should be linked to my name, and then they'll need i.d. i suppose. but i gave them my name - so surely that's enough, yet it didn't seem to matter much to them.

oh well, i'll just quit wearing them.

The purpose of wearing garments is to help you remember the covenants you made in the temple, and if your garments do not help you to remember those covenants, your garments really are not doing you very much good. The same thing can be said for the sacrament, and the scriptures, and prayer, and everything else that you do or should do to help you remember and honor your relationship with God.

Btw, I find it interesting that your name is jack and that the slang term for a member of the Church who does not honor his commitment is a “jack mormon”.

Originally posted by jackvance88+Oct 19 2004, 12:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jackvance88 @ Oct 19 2004, 12:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Fatboy@Oct 19 2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by -curvette@Oct 18 2004, 09:12 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Fatboy@Oct 18 2004, 07:11 PM

i don't know whether i'm struggling, but i do know that i am lazy, very very lazy. i arrive at church about 90 mins late every sunday, pick up my scriptures from beside my bed every night and read maybe one line, and my prayers are incoherent mumblings which i make while actually flat on my back in bed falling asleep.

so, do i still need to waer garments? maybe not seems to be the official church response.

about this number thing - if i give them a number then i guess it should be linked to my name, and then they'll need i.d. i suppose. but i gave them my name - so surely that's enough, yet it didn't seem to matter much to them.

oh well, i'll just quit wearing them.

I guess the question is would be, that since you realize you are lazy, why are you? To me, more knowledge of the gospel motivates me to share that knowledge with others. It appears you are still gaining knowledge, but your approach with what you do with it is different. What would motivate you to get to church on time. Are you late to everything in your life, or is it just church?