how should I pray

Sometimes I feel irreverent but I laugh and talk with Heavenly Father like a friend. Others I pray till I cry, like curled up bawling. But most important prepare to pray, pray to prepare, pray often, till it becomes more than habit, till it becomes natural and you find yourself at work and not worrying about the pain in your back because the load is heavy because your immered in conversation with God. Pray for others as much as you pray for yourself. Remember to always look for the Spirit when praying, and expect to recieve an answer, tell Heavenly Father youre expecting one and then look as hard as you can to find it, chances are you might find your answers before you get off your knees.

I'm afraid it amuses me when I am told that the words "thee" and "thou" show more respect. In English grammar they are in fact exactly the opposite. In modern English we only have one word for 'you' but in other languages there are two. In French for example there is 'tu' and 'vous'. 'Tu' is singular and 'vous' is plural. 'Vous' is also used in the singular polite form to show respect.

The English word "Thou" is like the French "tu" - in other words it was the commonly uses singular or familiar, and "you" was the plural or polite. So wouldn't that mean that by referring to Heavenly Father as "thou" we are in fact using the singular familiar rather than the respectful polite "you" ?

Of course it doesn't help coming from Lancashire either where the words "thee" and "thy" have been used colloquially and commonly until the recent generation. "Wurstibin?" is Lancashire for "Where hast thou been?" but is totally common and familiar the opposite end of the spectrum to polite and respectful.

However, back onto the subject of prayer. "Effectiveness" of prayer doesn't mean getting a 'yes' answer to every 'I want'. It means growing closer and feeling closer to Heavenly Father and I feel that is acheived not by the words used but by being quiet and listening to the things he says.