K2

Snow

I enjoyed Krakeur's Into Thin Air (about Everest) so much that I downloaded a list of the 100 greatest adventure stories of all-time. One book on the list was K2, The Savage Mountain by Houston and Bates. It tells the story of a failed 1953 ascent of K2, generally considered the hardest climb in the world. The mountain was finally conquered the following year but even without reaching the summit, K2 is a fantastic read.

What I found interesting was that though the ordeal was just 45 years or so before Krakeur's Everest adventure. It was a different era in the 1950's my friend, though the author was a bright and sophisticated doctor, he comes across as innocent and unspoiled compared to Krakeur (who is a wonderful writer when his isn't skewering Mormons).

The 1953 attempt was a repeat of Bates and Houston's also failed 1938 attempt. I found it amazing that their supplies, tents and sleepiing bags from a decade plus were still on the mountain and fortunately so as they would need them when the got trapped high on the mountain during an extended and violent storm.

I reccomend it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...983855?v=glance

I very much enjoyed Into Thin Air as well. I have a deep passion for climbing although most likely I will never be able to do it myself... I do like to read about those who do it. I have a goal in life to atleast climb Mt Kilmanjaro. With Mt McKinley in my backyard so to speak... I have to say I am so tempted to get my crampons and ice hatchet and head upwards.

Hey Snow, I bet you would appreciate this quote...

"You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down... so why bother in the first place? Just this: what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can atleast still know." -- Rene Daumel Mount Analogue

:)

You're right Blessed. I do like that.

One my mission We once climbed a mountain, Mount Pichincha (alt. 15,695) the 19th tallest active volcano in the world. The city below the mountain is at 9000 ft above sea level. We took a bus to about 10,000 ft or so.

Posted Image

There were four of us. It wasn't a terribly difficult climb but it was, by far, probably 5000 ft, the highest mountain any of us would come close to climbing. About a quarter mile from the top, the other three decided to stop and forgo the summit.

I still don't get it.

Posted Image

Guest curvette

I totally don't get the climbing big, dangerous mountains thing. I was hoping this thread was about the new Warren Miller ski movie. Now, I totally DO get the skiing big, dangerous mountains thing!