Improving my problem-solving ability

Guest tomk

As a web developer, how can I improve my problem-solving / troubleshooting / debugging skills?

I'd like advice both IT-centric as well as general.

Books, websites, anecdotes are welcome!

Thank you,

Tom

I would recommend Top Coder. You can review old contests, try them yourself and see how other people solved them. If you want to work more on practical application, I have found that it is best to think of a project that would be challenging and just jump in and do it in your free time. Look up things that you don't know how to do yet and if you still need help, jump on one of the many tech forums and ask for help.

TomK, if a train leaves Chicago going westbound at 60 MPH and another train leaves San Francisico going eastbound at 45 MPH how long will it take them to meet?

Try that on. :)

Ben Raines

If the first train is traveling due west and the second train is traveling due east, they'll never meet.

I'm sure as a programmer you have your own preferences and habits for programming, but the thing I find that helps me the most is to write really specific comments about what's happening in my code. I usually comment my code as if it were an outline. For instance, in R (The R Project for Statistical Computing), the comment character is #. So when I write my code, I might do something like this:

#**********************************

#* Import Data and Create New Variables

#* 1. Import Data

#* 2. Calculate Age Variable

#* 3. Determine Age Group

#*** 1. Import Data

xls.import( function arguments )

#*** 2. Calculate Age

Age <- Current.Date - Birth.Date

AgeYears <- Age/365.25

#*** 3. Determine Age Group

if(Age < 18) Group <- 1

elseif(Age <25) Group <- 2

elseif(Age < 40) Group <- 3

elseif(Age < 65) Group <- 4

else Group <- 5

#* Description of new block of code

I find that when bugs appear in my code I am able to review my code in these blocks. As I review each block I can determine if the error could originate in this block a lot more easily than trying to identify the line where the error occurs.

Other than that, I try to keep my mind sharp by employing mathematical logic. I review things like basic theorems in math and the real numbers. I should do some more Sudoku puzzles or something to keep sharp.

I'm sure as a programmer you have your own preferences and habits for programming, but the thing I find that helps me the most is to write really specific comments about what's happening in my code. I usually comment my code as if it were an outline.

I hate commenting my code... I know I should... but I still hate it. It's like doing a really annoying chore.

you could also join up to the likes of tek-tips com and see what troubles people are having, and see if you can help. For troubleshooting, critical thinking, etc. get yourself involved in an already established small Open Source project. Try to find and fix known bugs, etc.

Problem-solving requires more than just the knowledge of what needs doing, but practice in finding what needs done. so, find oppritunities to fix things wherever you can.

I have written a book called The power to overcome everything. It is a self help book with my personal story of overcoming my same-sex attractions. I explain how I was able to overcome or solve my problems, using the gospel as my guide.

You can find it at: the power to overcome : Home You should be able to buy it at Deseret book and other lds bookstores within the next few weeks.

Good luck, Paula Andriessen

I have written a book called The power to overcome everything. It is a self help book with my personal story of overcoming my same-sex attractions. I explain how I was able to overcome or solve my problems, using the gospel as my guide.

You can find it at: the power to overcome : Home You should be able to buy it at Deseret book and other lds bookstores within the next few weeks.

Good luck, Paula Andriessen

SPAM!!! Yes, you have been reported.