Modesty and Facebook

gorsky

Hello everyone! I'm a recent convert, and had a question about proper attire.

One of my friends (the one who brought me into the church, in fact) was recently married in the Temple. I am grateful that she was so upstanding in bringing me into the church, but now I'm worried about how she's representing the Church. She's posted a few pictures on Facebook of herself in rather revealing clothing.

My question is, what does the Church say about modesty and dress? It makes me feel uncomfortable to see her in this way, and I would like to talk to her about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Micah

I think she probably already knows what kind of dress is appropriate. She would have to remove her garments to wear clothing that was immodest.

==========

This would be something to think about:

Encourage Modest Dress

Since the time of Adam and Eve, the Lord has asked His children to cover their bodies. Until Eve was tempted by Satan in the Garden of Eden, she and Adam did not know they were naked. After eating of the forbidden fruit, they became aware of their nakedness. They tried to cover their most sacred parts with aprons of fig leaves. However, the Lord’s standards for modesty are greater, and He gave them coats of skins to cover themselves—even though at that time they were alone in the world. (See Moses 4:13, 27.)

The Lord’s standards of modesty are not those of the world. From the Prophet Joseph Smith through our recent prophets, our leaders have asked us to create our own styles and fashions (see Spencer W. Kimball, “A Style of Our Own,” BYU Devotional Assembly, 13 Feb. 1951). President Brigham Young described the kind of fashion that is a model for us. He said: “Suppose that a female angel were to come into your house and you had the privilege of seeing her, how would she be dressed? … She would be neat and nice, her countenance full of glory, brilliant, bright, and perfectly beautiful, and in every act her gracefulness would charm the heart of every beholder. There is nothing needless about her. None of my sisters believe that these useless, foolish fashions are followed in heaven. Well, then, pattern [your lives] after good and heavenly things, …” (in Deseret News [Weekly], 30 Apr. 1873, 196).

We can measure our standards of modesty by asking ourselves: How would I feel about my clothing if I knew the prophet were to visit in my home? Is my clothing a good example of what a Latter-day Saint girl or woman should wear? We should practice modesty within our own homes. Even small children should be modestly dressed and taught about modesty.

We are responsible for the effect our dress standards have on others. Anything that causes improper thoughts or sets a bad example before others is not modest. It is especially important that we teach young girls not to wear clothes that would encourage young men to have improper thoughts.

• • What styles are common today that we ought to avoid?
Modesty can help us keep our chastity. We need to choose styles that are pleasing both to us and the Lord.

taken from:

LDS.org - Family Chapter Detail - Chastity and Modesty

The church says to dress modestly. My understanding of it is to dress as if you have been through the temple. If you are wearing your garments properly you would be wearing clothing that is at least down to your knees, no belly showing, shirts with sleeves, and no low cut shirts and you should never represent yourself as it being questionable that you are wearing them. I hope I didn't confuse you, sometimes I'm not that great at explaining things.

hello.

Dress and Appearance,” For the Strength of Youth: Fulfilling Our Duty to God, 14

“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? … The temple of God is holy, which temple ye are” (1 Corinthians 3:16–17).

Your body is God’s sacred creation. Respect it as a gift from God, and do not defile it in any way. Through your dress and appearance, you can show the Lord that you know how precious your body is. You can show that you are a disciple of Jesus Christ.

Prophets of God have always counseled His children to dress modestly. The way you dress is a reflection of what you are on the inside. Your dress and grooming send messages about you to others and influence the way you and others act. When you are well groomed and modestly dressed, you invite the companionship of the Spirit and can exercise a good influence on those around you.

Never lower your dress standards for any occasion. Doing so sends the message that you are using your body to get attention and approval and that modesty is important only when it is convenient.

Immodest clothing includes short shorts and skirts, tight clothing, shirts that do not cover the stomach, and other revealing attire. Young women should wear clothing that covers the shoulder and avoid clothing that is low-cut in the front or the back or revealing in any other manner. Young men should also maintain modesty in their appearance. All should avoid extremes in clothing, appearance, and hairstyle. Always be neat and clean and avoid being sloppy or inappropriately casual in dress, grooming, and manners. Ask yourself, “Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord’s presence?”

Someday you will receive your endowment in the temple. Your dress and behavior should help you prepare for that sacred time.

Do not disfigure yourself with tattoos or body piercings. If girls or women desire to have their ears pierced, they are encouraged to wear only one pair of modest earrings.

Show respect for the Lord and for yourself by dressing appropriately for Church meetings and activities, whether on Sunday or during the week. If you are not sure what is appropriate, ask your parents or leaders for help.

Alma 1:27

As you can see this comes from the "For the Strength of youth" but in reality it pertains to all members.

Hope this is helpful.

Just a thought, Facebook has the right to use or store any pictures that are posted on its site. Pictures that are a bit revealing can come back to haunt someone in the future.

That being said perhaps context is important. If you are at the beach and someone takes a picture of you in a swim suit perhaps that is more tricky. If you happen to be into Latin style cancing some of the outfits are a bit revealing as well, or if you are an LDS figureskater. Yet if you make a point to show off in a semi-sexually provocative manner I think that is bad.

I never do get into showing alot of skin, like summer tops with strings. T Shirts and tops , so putting it on line was kind of gambling.

Im not sure if shes always been a member or married before, but if not and its her first then it could bring on a kind of attitude, she'll get over it hopfully.