choosing your family

lockekris

I am pretty sure I read in official LDS literature( I believe the Ensign) that the church does not teach that we chose our family in the preexistence. And that more than likely we accepted the "call" to the family in which we were sent. I have searched for it and can not find it. Does anyone know where it is? I have found questions and answers on the topic but nothing official and want something official to show a friend of mine.

I am pretty sure I read in official LDS literature( I believe the Ensign) that the church does not teach that we chose our family in the preexistence. And that more than likely we accepted the "call" to the family in which we were sent. I have searched for it and can not find it. Does anyone know where it is? I have found questions and answers on the topic but nothing official and want something official to show a friend of mine.

I believe that Spencer W Kimball addressed this issue a couple of times in the 70's and early 80's. The talks were centered more on finding your "eternal companion" and that there were many people which you could marry for eternity. It has been a while since I read any of these talks.

On the flip side the early saints and more specifically The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that some of these decisions were made in the preexistence, however we still have a choice on earth. I don't believe that he ever said this in a public sermon, rather I have read statements and journals from several people who attest that he said this to them in private.