To tuck? Or not to tuck...

RachelleDrew

So, I ventured onto the internet to find the sources I could. Maybe someone better versed in looking up medical issues could help you find more reliable information, but these are some of the results of my searching:

-Loose Skin After Weight Loss- What You Need to Know..., hosted by about.com, suggests a few different things you could do. It recommends patience and, if time and taking care of your body doesn't help the excess skin, surgery.

-The Myth of Loose Skin, which despite being basically a large advertisement for the author's book, does introduce some key concepts that might work, such as finding out your total body fat percentage and how loose skin may be attributed to fat still extant under the folds of skin.

-How to Tighten Loose Skin After Weight Loss, which is in the form of a short FAQ-section.

The general consensus seems to be that the two greatest factors of skin's elasticity are age and genetics. Luckily, you're young enough that I'm sure age isn't a problem; I don't know about your genetics. You might want to talk to family members that have had a similar problem and learn from their experiences.

As far as surgery as a viable option- among the medical advice I read, surgeons recommend waiting between 6 months to two years after the weight was lost to begin considering surgery. I would say (as a youngin' myself with no medical knowledge) that waiting a bit longer and trying a few new approaches, such as exercising while keeping body-fat percentage in mind, might be the best route before surgery.

If you do choose to undergo surgery, may I echo earlier advice to pray about it (I'm sure you will anyway)? It is a serious decision, and one you should understand fully before making. Perhaps coming to an understanding of why the Lord has not helped you lose the hanging skin would help you understand why surgery may be the best- or worst- option.

Whatever happens, good luck! Oh, and don't let anyone tell you it's your duty to have more children of your own. That's what adoption is for, if you feel the need for more children.

Edited by Maxel

Just because you may have more kids doesn't mean you will gain that much weight back. Since you have lost so much weight, I would guess you are eating much healthier and you won't go back to eating unhealthy again. You will reuse your stretch marks but that is different than using sagging skin! If and when you get ready to have another child, exercise before and during the pregnancy. That will keep you toned and keep the additional weight down so you don't gain to much more than what your baby will need. Then, breast feed which makes your body loose the extra fat put on to insulate and protect the baby.

Get the extra skin taken off! No there is no church policy about taking off extra skin! Actually it is unhealthy to have excess skin because it can cause sores and other issues that are unhealthy. I have friends that lost lots of weight and had the same issue you have. They were not happy till they had it taken off. How can you feel good about getting healthy and loosing the extra weight if you have all this skin left to remind you>? Quit worrying so much! live your life the happiest you can! Enjoy the fruits of your labor and give your baby a happy mother!