Questions From A Seeker

sanctuaryave

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Starsky

The church doesn't teach reincarnation in the same way that some may believe...like past lives on this earth.

We do believe in resurrection... :)

We believe, at least President Snows generation believed, that as man is, God once was, and as God is, man may become.

Guest Starsky

hmmm, a babe in the woods...well, It means that God was once a man on earth and through the same pathes He traveled and has outlined for us, we can become like Him....Gods.

Originally posted by Peace@Feb 6 2004, 11:12 PM

hmmm, a babe in the woods...well, It means that God was once a man on earth and through the same pathes He traveled and has outlined for us, we can become like Him....Gods.

On earth? I don't think so.

And no, not at least President's Snow's generation - we still all (the orthodox) believe it today.

Originally posted by Peace@Feb 7 2004, 12:12 AM

Does that mean that, like me, God has a creator as well? If I can become God, is there then more than one?

Originally posted by sanctuaryave+Feb 7 2004, 01:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sanctuaryave @ Feb 7 2004, 01:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Peace@Feb 7 2004, 12:12 AM

Does that mean that, like me, God has a creator as well? If I can become God, is there then more than one?

Yes.

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by sanctuaryave+Feb 7 2004, 12:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sanctuaryave @ Feb 7 2004, 12:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Peace@Feb 7 2004, 12:12 AM

Well there is only one God for us here on this earth....and when we become Gods (and that takes a lot of stuff, so not just everyone gets to be a God like our God) we create our own worlds and have our own dominion over our own children.

So your question might not be...is there more than one. It would have to be....is there more than one for this Earth (and I am talking about Jehovah, as being the one, though there is God The Father and God The Savior, and the Holy Ghost as a Godhead.) So the answer is no and yes.

There are as many Gods and earths and galaxies etc as there is potential for all to become reigning Gods.

Guest Starsky

Boy was that confusing or what. This is even a difficult subject to discuss with LDS members, let alone a stranger who is a babe in the woods...

I hope you get what I am trying to tell you...ask some specific questions and maybe we can make it clearer.

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by Snow+Feb 7 2004, 12:13 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Feb 7 2004, 12:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Peace@Feb 6 2004, 11:12 PM

On earth? I don't think so.

And no, not at least President's Snow's generation - we still all (the orthodox) believe it today.

I'm sorry Snow....when I was reading this thread to catch up, I noticed that blantant error and was about to edit when I saw your post.... :)

NO God wasn't on THIS earth...but he was on A earth back in the eons of time...and then He went through the process of progression until He became OUR God on THIS EARTH.

As for the President Snow's remark....I was just leaving room for President Hinckley's statement made in that interview on TV. :)

Originally posted by Peace+Feb 7 2004, 12:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peace @ Feb 7 2004, 12:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -sanctuaryave@Feb 7 2004, 12:47 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--Peace@Feb 7 2004, 12:12 AM

Well there is only one God for us here on this earth....and when we become Gods (and that takes a lot of stuff, so not just everyone gets to be a God like our God) we create our own worlds and have our own dominion over our own children.

So your question might not be...is there more than one. It would have to be....is there more than one for this Earth (and I am talking about Jehovah, as being the one, though there is God The Father and God The Savior, and the Holy Ghost as a Godhead.) So the answer is no and yes.

There are as many Gods and earths and galaxies etc as there is potential for all to become reigning Gods.

So, if I understand you, our God walked a life similar to ours and became a god himself and then created earth and us.

When we worship God. which god aren we worshipping our creator or his creator?

I have been reading the Book of Mormon and a little in the Pearl of Great Price and the only mention I have seen regarding anything close to this concept is in the latter. I also have asked members here locally but they are reluctant to talk about it.

Are we talking about being kings over our family or Gods over our own world??

Originally posted by sanctuaryave@Feb 8 2004, 05:28 AM

We worship Heavenly Father through his Son Jesus Christ, and we receive witness to this through the Holy Ghost.

Three in the Godhead, one in purpose. And we all are one with the Savior, if we want to be: John 15:5

"I am the vine, ye are the branches........"

To answer your question: no, we worship as I have explained above. However, this does not mean that at some point in the eternities we won't understand Heavenly Father's heritage (so to speak).

Since all the galaxies are moving away from eachother, and the universe contains an "echo" of electromagnetic radiation that clearly indicates that around 13 billion years ago, the universe had no planets, stars nor galaxies, but was simply an expanding ball of high temperature elementary particles, what was God doing then? Which "planet" was he on and where was Kolob then?

Guest antishock82003

Waitaminute. Your prophets says that he doesn't know if his own church teaches that. AND he said it was more of a couplet than anything. Are you telling me that Mormons really believe that As God once was Man is, and as God is Man may become? Can you show me where this is supported my Mormon scripture?

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by antishock82003@Feb 8 2004, 09:28 AM

Waitaminute. Your prophets says that he doesn't know if his own church teaches that. AND he said it was more of a couplet than anything. Are you telling me that Mormons really believe that As God once was Man is, and as God is Man may become? Can you show me where this is supported my Mormon scripture?

How about this one:

Moroni 7:48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

Or this one:

45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy cconfidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.

46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.

The doctrine of the priesthood is knowledge and power. Dominion/scepter describes Godhood.

These are just two which tells of where we are going to progress to....and being that we are men on an earth, we could safely assume that this is where God was also, before He became God.

Guest Starsky

Here are some more I found through scripture search:

Man, potential to become like Heavenly Father: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father, Matt. 5: 48 (3 Ne. 12: 48). Is it not written in your law that ye are gods? John 10: 34 (D&C 76: 58). We may become heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, Rom. 8: 17. Thou art a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ, Gal. 4: 7. When he shall appear, we shall be like him, 1 Jn. 3: 2. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me on my throne, Rev. 3: 21. To them have I given to become the sons of God, 3 Ne. 9: 17. Those who inherit the celestial kingdom are gods, even the sons of God, D&C 76: 50, 58. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, D&C 132: 20.

Originally posted by Peace@Feb 8 2004, 12:49 PM

Man, potential to become like Heavenly Father: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father, Matt. 5: 48 (3 Ne. 12: 48). Is it not written in your law that ye are gods? John 10: 34 (D&C 76: 58). We may become heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, Rom. 8: 17. Thou art a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ, Gal. 4: 7. When he shall appear, we shall be like him, 1 Jn. 3: 2. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me on my throne, Rev. 3: 21. To them have I given to become the sons of God, 3 Ne. 9: 17. Those who inherit the celestial kingdom are gods, even the sons of God, D&C 76: 50, 58. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, D&C 132: 20.

Wow.. now you're scarin me. When I read those it appeared that it was saying we would be, like Christ, a son of god. An heir to the throne would mean the throne would have to be vacated. Would we replace God?

I hope I don't make things more confusing. Look at it like a Father and a son. The son grows up, and he also becomes a father to a child of his own. So now you have Grandfather, Father and Son. The son will always call his father "dad" just like the father will always call the grandfather "dad" Doesn't mean anyone has been replaced. (yes...that was confusing)

We say that we are all children of God, and we mean that in a literal translation. You are a son of God. But no, you will not replace Christ. Christ was the first born. The throne you may inherit it, is not Christ's throne, but rather your own.

Peace is right, this is a hard subject among members. It's the whole idea of crawling before you walk. This concept is actually running full speed ahead, and if you don't have the basics of the gospel, then it will be confusing.

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by sanctuaryave+Feb 8 2004, 12:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sanctuaryave @ Feb 8 2004, 12:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Peace@Feb 8 2004, 12:49 PM

Wow.. now you're scarin me. When I read those it appeared that it was saying we would be, like Christ, a son of god. An heir to the throne would mean the throne would have to be vacated. Would we replace God?

I think AFDaw has clearified the teaching of thrones. That example of Son. Father, Grandfather is a valid one.

I do not have the dominion over Christ's dominion. He retains it forever and ever. I will obtain my own dominion as Christ has.

Guest Starsky

Here are some more about Christ receiving His dominion from the Father:

John 17: 11

11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

John 17: 24

24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

3 Ne. 15: 24

24 But behold, ye have both heard my voice, and seen me; and ye are my sheep, and ye are numbered among those whom the Father hath given me.

Originally posted by Peace@Feb 8 2004, 01:52 PM

Here are some more about Christ receiving His dominion from the Father:

John 17: 11

11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

John 17: 24

24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

3 Ne. 15: 24

24 But behold, ye have both heard my voice, and seen me; and ye are my sheep, and ye are numbered among those whom the Father hath given me.

I reading those passages they appear to saying that the heart of the father and the son are like the heart of the son and me. That we are one in our desires and conviction. I dont see a connection to me being a god and having my own dominion. What am I missing?

Originally posted by sanctuaryave@Feb 8 2004, 04:28 AM

I have been reading the Book of Mormon and a little in the Pearl of Great Price and the only mention I have seen regarding anything close to this concept is in the latter. I also have asked members here locally but they are reluctant to talk about it.

For anyone who didn't figure it out in the first obvious post or the second obvious post, santuaryave is just a troll with a less than deft touch. Stay tune as he reveals himself.