1 Nephi 21:22

pam

Reference Search: 1 Nephi 21:22

22 Thus saith the Lord God: Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people; and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders.

Quotes for Discussion

This is a great latter-day work also for the gathering of the house of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Israel</st1:country-region></st1:place>—a work which shall commence among the Gentiles. In ancient days the Lord commenced his work among <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Israel</st1:place></st1:country-region>. The kingdom of heaven was preached among the Jews, but they proved themselves unworthy, and says Paul, “Lo, we turn to the Gentiles,” and the kingdom was taken from the Jews and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. The natural branches of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Israel</st1:place></st1:country-region> were broken off, and the branches of the wild olive tree-the Gentiles—were grafted in. But the Gentiles, since they were grafted in, 1800 years ago, have fallen after the same example of unbelief that the ancient Jews did, and they have lost the power and authority which they once possessed; and for many centuries they have had no apostles, no prophets, no angels from heaven, no power of godliness made manifest among them, and nothing but the teachings and precepts of uninspired men. But in the great latter-day work, the Lord begins where he left off—“the first shall be last, and the last shall be first.” As the Jews, in ancient days were first, and the Gentiles last, so in the great latter-day work, the Gentiles will be first and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Israel</st1:country-region></st1:place> will be last. Hence the Prophet says, “Behold, thus saith the Lord God, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters upon their shoulders, and I will lift up my standard to the Gentiles.”

JD, 16:85<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t202 coordsize="21600,21600" path="m,l,21600r21600,l21600,xe" o:spt="202"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t"></v:path></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: 8.4pt; Z-INDEX: 251663360; MARGIN-LEFT: -37.05pt; WIDTH: 36pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 27pt" type="#_x0000_t202" stroked="f" filled="f"></v:shape><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> This Church is the standard which Isaiah said the Lord would set up for the people in the latter days. This Church was given to be a light to the world and to be a standard for God’s people and for the Gentiles to seek to. This Church is the ensign on the mountain spoken of by the Old Testament prophets. It is the way, the truth, and the life.

Marion G. Romney, CR, April 1961, 119<o:p></o:p>