I'll Tell The Pope His Business

Snow

I just saw the obligatory soundbites from the faithful Catholics about the new Pope. One lady was kinda spitt'n out the venom: "This Pope has the most deploring record on earth as being anti-theologians, anti-this, anti-that, etc, etc."

She was referring to his disciplinary and conservative approach to liberal influences in the Church. I think this kind of nonsense is nonsense. People like that think that they themselves (or popular opinion) ought define church policy and doctrine.

Nonsense. Who died and left them Pope?

Originally posted by USNationalist@Apr 20 2005, 01:05 AM

I vote i should be pope. Ill excomunicate half the members on the spot. Most catholics are all a bunch of fakers. Their church ought to do something about it. Church disapline in the catholic church is almost non exsistant and it ought to be.

This is too true. It might be why it is so popular ~ LOL

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint+Apr 20 2005, 03:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Taoist_Saint @ Apr 20 2005, 03:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--USNationalist@Apr 20 2005, 01:05 AM

I vote i should be pope. Ill excomunicate half the members on the spot. Most catholics are all a bunch of fakers. Their church ought to do something about it. Church disapline in the catholic church is almost non exsistant and it ought to be.

I bet many Catholics would welcome Excommunication, except for one thing...their Catholic families would probably disown them or become depressed.

Sort of the same situation half of the LDS are in...including myself. We would LOVE to be excommunicated if it wouldn't tear apart our families.

For example, those excommunicated Catholics in the the more emotional "Latin" cultures would have grandmothers crying every day, "Aye! How could you turn your back on God???"

My LDS in-laws are from South America, so I know they would react the same way.

:D

Funny thing about that ~ it is just the opposite with my 'latin' neighbor. She and her parents are the ones who left the church and took the caucasian sil out of the church with them.

He really didn't want to leave the church, but he loved his wife more than the church.

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint+Apr 20 2005, 03:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Taoist_Saint @ Apr 20 2005, 03:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Amillia@Apr 20 2005, 02:29 PM

Funny thing about that ~ it is just the opposite with my 'latin' neighbor. She and her parents are the ones who left the church and took the caucasian sil out of the church with them.

He really didn't want to leave the church, but he loved his wife more than the church.

Yea, I am not saying Latins are more faithful. They are just more emotional.

My in-laws are both :D

I love our neighbor. She is my best friend, and yes she is very emotional ~

Toa,

I'm quite satisfied being a member of the LDS church.

I know from your post, why you "say" that you visit the LDS board but ... I think that deep down, you still have feelings or beliefs for the LDS church as well.

Best regards in your quest to sort things out! :D

To stay on topic, we at least need the number of inactives, to find out who wants to be excommunicated, but are afraid to for family reasons.

The problem I see with that idea is that very few inactives want to sever ties with the LDS Church. Inactivity does not mean "I want to be excommunicated". Many inactives are happy to be called LDS, they just don't want to put in the effort it takes to BE LDS on a full-time basis. There are many reasons why a person falls into inactivity, a good number of which have little to do with disagreements with the doctrine of the church.

From what I have heard, the dead members do not have their names removed from Church records and are counted...I guess when you believe in resurrection, death is just temporary, so there is not reason to remove them

If you could substantiate that claim it would be worth talking about. As it stands, I tend to think that the church makes an honest effort to remove the names of dead people from their current member list. It would be a logistical nightmare for anyone to make up hometeaching or Sunday School lists if there were names of long-dead people still on those lists. Perhaps those names are kept in "cold-storage" and stuck in "dead" wards and stakes in a vault in SLC, but I highly doubt it.

My guess is 2 million to 3 million.

I would guess that number would be much lower. As I stated earlier, I don't think there are all that many people just aching to leave who don't have the guts to do so. Remember, the sampling of people you meet on the internet is not a respresentative sampling of the complete number of LDS, they are just the vocal ones who wish to cast doubt in the hearts of us all by their wild, unsubstantiated claims.

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint+Apr 21 2005, 05:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Taoist_Saint @ Apr 21 2005, 05:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--john doe@Apr 20 2005, 07:50 PM

Sort of the same situation half of the LDS are in...including myself. We would LOVE to be excommunicated if it wouldn't tear apart our families.

Half? A full half? Where do you get your numbers? I would like to see that study where you got that percentage from.

Ok, maybe a third? A quarter?

USN was generalizing about Catholics by saying half of them are inactive, so I just used the same number...sure, I was exaggerating.

I have seen some statistics showing that out of 12 million LDS members, only about 6 million are actually still alive or active.

From what I have heard, the dead members do not have their names removed from Church records and are counted...I guess when you believe in resurrection, death is just temporary, so there is not reason to remove them :D

As for inactives, I read that, especially in Latin American countries, many LDS converts to not list themselves as LDS on their census information, because they went inactive and didn't know they were supposed to take their names off the records. Sorry, I have no source, so that is just a rumor.

But you are right, we need a reliable source that could tell us the number of dead or inactive members, so we can subtract that from 12 million.

To stay on topic, we at least need the number of inactives, to find out who wants to be excommunicated, but are afraid to for family reasons.

My guess is 2 million to 3 million.

B)

You live in SLC don't you? That is why you think there are so many. Most really high concentration of members not living up to their covenants and wanting to leave the church are right here in Utah.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint@May 1 2005, 02:45 PM

After sincere prayer about this issue, and reviewing some Church statistics I saw today in the LDS News...

(I think that is what the paper is called? The one that is a section in the Deseret News?)

I have concluded that the Church is really UNDERESTIMATING its membership.

12 million?

100 million is more like it!

Think about it...pre-existence??? Every one of the mortal LDS people will have several children in the near future. Those kids are just waiting to be born, and eight years later, they will be Church members!

I say we count them now...they already exist! Those bodiless souls deserve to be counted...they are just as human as you or me. It is unfair to judge them as non-Mormons just because they don't have bodies yet.

100 Million Mormons!

We are truly the fastest growing church...and the most awesome for being so humble about our membership numbers.

hmmmmmmm. :unsure: