Our Imperiled National Promise

Hemidakota

ARTICLE EXCERPT: Not wishing to appear politically partisan, I have remained silent – until now – on the present conduct of American foreign policy, and what it potentially means to Latter-day Saints. Limited by space I offer just two of many worrisome examples.

First, the trip of President Barack Obama this week to the Middle East highlights the subtle yet dangerous changes underway. Much is being made by many about his not going to Israel ; I don't accept those conclusions, at least on face value. Yes, it indeed may be a purposeful and message-filled snub, but when Presidents travel abroad a complex and complicated mosaic of bilateral and multilateral considerations coupled with time and logistics determine the schedule. To thus conclude his “skipping” Israel is an intentional affront may be overreaching.

What is shocking about this presidential trip, however, is the United States has agreed with demands of the Saudi monarchy to limit journalists accompanying the President to only covering formal meetings, and prohibiting visiting elsewhere in Saudi Arabia or reporting on anything else. Our capitulating State Department, in announcing this remarkable agreement, informed reporters that those in violation will be “subject to arrest.”

Over the years as a presidential advisor I accompanied U. S. Presidents to dozens of foreign lands. Customarily, coverage of official diplomatic discussions is necessarily and understandably limited, but never would the United States have agreed to such constitutionally abhorrent restrictions on American media. Such restraint on freedom of Americans would almost certainly have resulted in cancellation of the President's trip, accompanied by a strong diplomatic protest.

ARTICLE LINK: Meridian Magazine:: Ideas and Society: Our Imperiled National Promise

Guest lalaonegin
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

ARTICLE EXCERPT:

Over the years as a presidential advisor I accompanied U. S. Presidents to dozens of foreign lands. Customarily, coverage of official diplomatic discussions is necessarily and understandably limited, but never would the United States have agreed to such constitutionally abhorrent restrictions on American media. Such restraint on freedom of Americans would almost certainly have resulted in cancellation of the President's trip, accompanied by a strong diplomatic protest.

ARTICLE LINK: Meridian Magazine:: Ideas and Society: Our Imperiled National Promise

Can I ask what Department you worked for and your clearance?

The KSA has always been a closed society. Only visa's allowed are for foreign workers, who are severely restricted as to where they can travel, and those on Hajj...

Edited by lalaonegin

What is shocking about this presidential trip, however, is the United States has agreed with demands of the Saudi monarchy to limit journalists accompanying the President to only covering formal meetings, and prohibiting visiting elsewhere in Saudi Arabia or reporting on anything else. Our capitulating State Department, in announcing this remarkable agreement, informed reporters that those in violation will be “subject to arrest.”

What exactly is "constitutionally abhorrent" about this situation? You go to another country, sometimes you have to play by their rules. If they don't like it, they are free to stay home and not cover this story.

What exactly is "constitutionally abhorrent" about this situation? You go to another country, sometimes you have to play by their rules. If they don't like it, they are free to stay home and not cover this story.

I agree but we should placed the same restriction from that nation when they visit here. ^_^

Guest lalaonegin

Hemi...Having read the article in Meridain, I feel like the author is being disingenuous with his audience. I'd like to know who are the President's he's traveled with? Who he worked for and what his clearance is/was?

The KSA has always been a closed society. Employment visas are only granted with severe travel restrictions. There is no "Tourist Visa" available from the KSA, to the best of my knowledge. Only those on a Hajj are allowed any type of movement around the Kingdom.

I am no fan of the "Big Kenyan" in the WH. Having said that, clarity by the author would be nice.

Guest lalaonegin

I agree but we should placed the same restriction from that nation when they visit here. ^_^

I'll call your attention to the fact that in the first 24 hours after 911, while no American could board an aircraft anywhere in the US, President Bush allowed a Royal Saudi 747 to crisscross this land to pick up Saudi nationals, a number of who were Bin Laden's. Whisking them safely from the interrogation of the FBI.