Low-Nurturance Families - Break the Cycle

rampion

Low-Nurturance Families - Break the Cycle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An introduction to the non-profit < Break the Cycle! > Web site.

I just found this, and it makes so much sense to me. From my experience and what I observe in working with other people, this guy really seems to know what he's talking about. I haven't read it all yet, but wanted to share it. It looks like the site includes a free online course to increase awareness of the problem and how to heal ourselves, our families, and society too. Anybody interested in exploring/discussing it?

Even in LDS families, we don't all have our needs met, know how to nurture each other, etc. When I work with families, too often I find that they fall into two groups - those that appear to be functioning pretty well, and don't think that they need help; and those that aren't functining well, and can't admit that they need help. The more people who are aware of basic needs and how to make sure they are met, the better off everyone will be. I wish that my parents had known this stuff, and that I had known it much earlier in life.

The site is so packed with information and links to more information, that it looks overwhelming to me at first, but it feels so true to me that I'm going to keep going back until I can absorb at least most of it. Here's a summary:

The Unseen [ Wounds + Unawareness ] Cycle

My work as a family therapist, researcher, and educator since 1979 suggests this premise: (a) Your family, (b) many of the people you work with and for, and © most of your fellow citizens, may suffer significant stress, loss, and heartache because of this invisible cycle:

Widespread public ignorance, unawareness, and denial promote...

Public and religious values, traditions, and laws that allow couples to marry

and conceive children before they're qualified to do so, which causes...

Epidemic unwise (a) marital and (b) child-conception choices +

ineffective communication, grieving, and parenting. So...

Typical young kids get inadequate nurturing and training on these topics at

home and school; So most of them develop significant psychological wounds, and...

must adapt to parental psychological or legal divorce, because

their wounded, unaware caregivers aren't able to fill their marital needs.

Survivors of this cycle grow up and - without [ an awakening + self-motivated

personal healing + effective help ] - unconsciously repeat and spread the cycle.

The spreading wounds and ignorance in our society promote...

significant public health problems and shorter lives, and...

most major social problems like obesity, homelessness, "mental illness," depression, child, self, and elder neglect and abuse; domestic violence; addictions; and most crime.

Once citizens, parents, and legislators are aware of this cycle and its escalating toxic impacts,

they (we) can break the cycle through appropriate education, recovery programs, and new laws.