LDS IRC Channel

Joseph

Hey guys--

Me and some others were considering creating an IRC channel for Latter-day Saints and their friends. I know there used to be some popular ones several years ago but none are around anymore.

If this is something that you might be interested in, let us know. Obviously we want to know if people would participate before we set one up.

Thanks! :)

-- PS --

I notice a "Chat" link at the top of the page. Why not just use that?

IRC is more stable, doesn't have restrictions on time, etc., and we don't need it to be dependent on a particular website since we hope to gather chatters from a variety of LDS message boards and groups.

I created a channel. Here's a step-by-step on how to get in:

1) Download a IRC client like mIRC (I also hear there's an IRC plug-in that can run directly in Firefox, maybe someone else knows more about this.)

2) Open mIRC. In the line at the bottom where you can enter text, type "/server irc.webchat.org -j #MountZion" (without the quotes). Alternatively you could type "/server", which connects you to the server, and then type "/join #MountZion".

3) That's about it.

Obviously there's not really any active users there yet, but you can get a taste of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I cant keep my browser open because my mobo is old and having issues. I cant afford a newer used mobo yet so I prefer IRC. I use a linux live CD and the ram is the only place my system runs in so stability is good with IRC. :)

yes, old as the hills as thay say. I started doing irc in 1995-1996. That was so long ago.

There was one on efnet but it was taken over and lots of spam on it. I think irc should be just referral only. Keeps the problem "non members' out of it. I am also less inclined to do irc. for one, the timing is never right to meet with some one online and is less personable unless you know the person in real life. I think it would be nifty if there was vidio/text chat and a game room irc users can hang out with. Afterall, family often get together and play games :)

BTW, how is everyone summer doing? we have had a really cool summer with more rain then normal in Vancouver BC. temps in the 70s. Just right.