The Axis Of Evil... Walmart!

seamusz

Originally posted by Outshined@Oct 3 2005, 04:03 PM

I recommend you check out the resources on sweatshops and the companies that buy from them. Along with Walmart you'll find Kmart, Sears, Kohl's, Target, and JC Penney, among others.

Also, you'll find companies like Nike, Reebok, Levi's and others using such third-world sweatshops to make their goods.

Taking such a strong "moral" stand should involve more than just one company, don't you think?

The sweat shop stuff has plagued the entire clothing industries and numerous others. The list for Walmart's unethical practices only start with sweat shops, though.

Are you defending these practices?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 03:49 PM

OH YEAH! I so agree with that!

:rolleyes: Big surprise there.

Just your comment tells me that you are just looking for someone to target... Walmart must have given you the boot... and you just want to bite them back...

Originally posted by Please+Oct 3 2005, 04:12 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Oct 3 2005, 03:49 PM

Just your comment tells me that you are just looking for someone to target... Walmart must have given you the boot... and you just want to bite them back...

I'm sorry that it came across that way. I just thought it was ridiculous that you continually posted the fact that you "totally agreed" with anyone who supported you current stance.

Walmart must have given me the boot and I just want to bite them back???? you state that as if it was fact... do you have ESP?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by seamusz+Oct 3 2005, 04:31 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:12 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Oct 3 2005, 03:49 PM

I'm sorry that it came across that way. I just thought it was ridiculous that you continually posted the fact that you "totally agreed" with anyone who supported you current stance.

Walmart must have given me the boot and I just want to bite them back???? you state that as if it was fact... do you have ESP?

Actually yes I do have esp... but I prefer to call it the gift of discernment... :D

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:12 PM

Walmart must have given you the boot... and you just want to bite them back...

And when Walmart gives you the boot, you'll probably feel the same way. Seamusz hasn't gone into specifics about whether or not Walmart has given him the boot, but I can speak from experience. I have more than one family member who has a business that has suffered or failed directly because of Walmart.

One doesn't generally have a passion for something without a reason. Most people don't get out and aggressively raise research money for cancer until they or someone in their family gets it. Most people don't join in efforts to inform people about this cause or that unless they have been directly affected by it.

Of course most of you find Walmart as happy a place as that cutesy little yellow smiley face of theirs.....but most of you have not been out of a job or lost a business because of them (and yada, yada, yada to all the comments that are sure to follow saying that Walmart probably didn't really have much to do with it anyway :rolleyes: ).

Shop at Walmart to your heart's content. But keep in mind while you're doing it that Walmart does not care about your community. Walmart does not care about your neighbors. Walmart does not care about you. Walmart cares about money....and don't we learn in the scriptures that the love of money is the root of all evil??

Originally posted by Please+Oct 3 2005, 04:33 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-seamusz

I'm sorry that it came across that way.  I just thought it was ridiculous that you continually posted the fact that you "totally agreed" with anyone who supported you current stance. 

Walmart must have given me the boot and I just want to bite them back????  you state that as if it was fact...  do you have ESP?

Actually yes I do have esp... but I prefer to call it the gift of discernment... :D

:D good point!

Actually, to brutally honest I am in two Walmarts every morning around 6 am. I am a vendor for a local company. So maybe my bitterness comes from having to hear their "wallyword tv propaganda" everyday. I will say, if nothing else, associating with employees of Walmart has shown me how much the company takes advantage of their employees... their words, not mine.

Some days I wish I was kicked out, I have not been though. But I do want to bite back because I have had family that have lost a business from Walmarts community-caring-we-are-in-business-for-small-business-low-prices. Wouldn't you?

Guest Member_Deleted

daizymae,Oct 3 2005, 04:39 PM]

Please,Oct 3 2005, 04:12 PM]Walmart must have given you the boot... and you just want to bite them back...

Shop at Walmart to your heart's content.  But keep in mind while you're doing it that Walmart does not care about your community.  Walmart does not care about your neighbors.  Walmart does not care about you.  Walmart cares about money....and don't we learn in the scriptures that the love of money is the root of all evil??

Dear... you may not know this... and I hate to be the first one to tell you.... but all big businesses are in business for the money.

and the love of money is the root of all evil.... except for rape and incest and child molestation.. and wife beating... I don't t think they are really based upon money... or the love of it...

Originally posted by daizymae+Oct 3 2005, 04:39 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:12 PM

Walmart must have given you the boot... and you just want to bite them back...

And when Walmart gives you the boot, you'll probably feel the same way. Seamusz hasn't gone into specifics about whether or not Walmart has given him the boot, but I can speak from experience. I have more than one family member who has a business that has suffered or failed directly because of Walmart.

One doesn't generally have a passion for something without a reason. Most people don't get out and aggressively raise research money for cancer until they or someone in their family gets it. Most people don't join in efforts to inform people about this cause or that unless they have been directly affected by it.

Of course most of you find Walmart as happy a place as that cutesy little yellow smiley face of theirs.....but most of you have not been out of a job or lost a business because of them (and yada, yada, yada to all the comments that are sure to follow saying that Walmart probably didn't really have much to do with it anyway :rolleyes: ).

Shop at Walmart to your heart's content. But keep in mind while you're doing it that Walmart does not care about your community. Walmart does not care about your neighbors. Walmart does not care about you. Walmart cares about money....and don't we learn in the scriptures that the love of money is the root of all evil??

Thanks, I couldn't have put it better!

Originally posted by seamusz@Oct 3 2005, 04:11 PM

The sweat shop stuff has plagued the entire clothing industries and numerous others.  The list for Walmart's unethical practices only start with sweat shops, though.

No, but it looks like you are. "that stuff's been around for a long time, but it's different when Walmart does it". Nonsense. Sounds more like "selective outrage". B) Your venom toward Walmart and only Walmart is a bit puzzling and rather bizzare.

As long as you have a flashy anti-Walmart banner in your sig, it's okay to buy from other companies that support the sweatshop industry? How many times have you contacted Walmart to voice your concerns about their "unethical practices"? Even discussed it with a store manager? Are you aware of the level of the same practices that are present in other companies? I guess not.

Honestly, I can't take you seriously at all on this subject, with the attempt to equate shopping with tithing and prayer, and the assertion that whether you shop at Walmart should be an issue during Temple recommend interviews. :wacko:

Perhaps on another thread on another subject you'd make a more cogent argument.

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:41 PM

Dear... you may not know this... and I hate to be the first one to tell you.... but all big businesses are in business for the money.

and the love of money is the root of all evil.... except for rape and incest and child molestation.. and wife beating... I don't t think they are really based upon money... or the love of it...

Now, I honestly, sincerely don't mean this in a rude way....but sometimes you just don't make much sense.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by daizymae+Oct 3 2005, 04:46 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:41 PM

Now, I honestly, sincerely don't mean this in a rude way....but sometimes you just don't make much sense.

LOL

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 04:39 PM

Shop at Walmart to your heart's content.  But keep in mind while you're doing it that Walmart does not care about your community.  Walmart does not care about your neighbors.  Walmart does not care about you.  Walmart cares about money....and don't we learn in the scriptures that the love of money is the root of all evil??

You just described every major retailer and manufacturer in the country. I think seamusz is going to need more space for banners in his sig...

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:41 PM

daizymae,Oct 3 2005, 04:39 PM]

Please,Oct 3 2005, 04:12 PM]Walmart must have given you the boot... and you just want to bite them back...

Well, according to the Lords Apostle, money is the root of all evil.

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Daizymae had very good points, you should at least be able to see here point of view, even if you don't entirely agree with it.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Outshined+Oct 3 2005, 04:46 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 04:39 PM

You just described every major retailer and manufacturer in the country. I think seamusz is going to need more space for banners in his sig...

See that is what I said.... every big business is in it for the money...

then I tried to describe some evil stuff that wasn't based upon the love of money... because daisy was saying that all evil was based upon the love of money... LOL THERE I SAID IT... sense or no cents...

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:48 PM

then I tried to describe some evil stuff that wasn't based upon the love of money... because daisy was saying that all evil was based upon the love of money... LOL THERE I SAID IT... sense or no cents...

Good grief....you make it sound like I support other evil practices just because they don't have anything to do with money. I was referring to a specific scripture, that's all.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by daizymae+Oct 3 2005, 04:51 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:48 PM

Good grief....you make it sound like I support other evil practices just because they don't have anything to do with money. I was referring to a specific scripture, that's all.

I can't help the way you took it... good grief!

Originally posted by Please+Oct 3 2005, 04:56 PM-->

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 04:51 PM

Took it what way?? The way you said it??

Originally posted by Outshined+Oct 3 2005, 04:45 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-seamusz@Oct 3 2005, 04:11 PM

The sweat shop stuff has plagued the entire clothing industries and numerous others.  The list for Walmart's unethical practices only start with sweat shops, though. 

No, but it looks like you are. "that stuff's been around for a long time, but it's different when Walmart does it". Nonsense. Sounds more like "selective outrage". B) Your venom toward Walmart and only Walmart is a bit puzzling and rather bizzare.

it that a quote in there.... I don't think I ever said that. Why do you always turn this as an attack on me??? Why can't you stick to the issue? Your posts to me are a bit puzzling and rather bizarre? How old are you btw?

As long as you have a flashy anti-Walmart banner in your sig, it's okay to buy from other companies that support the sweatshop industry? How many times have you contacted Walmart to voice your concerns about their "unethical practices"? Even discussed it with a store manager? Are you aware of the level of the same practices that are present in other companies? I guess not.

My sig got your attention, eh? Thats good ;) I have contacted local Walmarts on their business practices, do you think they give two cents what I say? Nope, but they care when people stop shopping there, so that is the route I have chosen. It seems as if you are the one on a soap box... although I can't really tell what it is you are advocating...

Honestly, I can't take you seriously at all on this subject, with the attempt to equate shopping with tithing and prayer, and the assertion that whether you shop at Walmart should be an issue during Temple recommend interviews. :wacko: 

You take me seriously enough to respond to my posts... You seem to be taking this all very personally.

Perhaps on another thread on another subject you'd make a more cogent argument. 

I am just rellaying info, I didn't expect to strike such a tender chord with some people... Maybe you should create a thread to convince people that they can't do anything to change their community, so they shouldn't even try. I'm sure you can find a cogent argument for that.

I have done some 'contract work' for Wal-Mart for several years. What I have witnessed is that the bigger and more powerful they get, the cheaper they become.

I am not surprised by daizymae's comment that when they supported the hurricane relief effort they cut back in another charity with the printing of the balloons for the CMN. It's about publicity and getting noticed at the time.

I do still shop at Wal-Mart but I also shop at many other places. I believe that a business can be successful and still treat people well. I like it when a company allows their employees to become involved in profit sharing. Next time I am 'on the job' at Wal-Mart I will ask some of the people I know if they feel they are being treated fairly and if they are happy there.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by daizymae+Oct 3 2005, 04:57 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:56 PM

Don't be such an idiot...

Originally posted by seamusz@Oct 3 2005, 05:00 PM

blah blah blah

Tell you what. You keep wearing your shoes made by an eight-year-old in Indonesia for a dollar an hour, preaching that Walmart is evil and is a matter of religious consequence, and keep taking money from Walmart as a vendor. As long as you can talk nasty behind their backs and have a sig to show your "committment", you'll be fine. :lol::lol: It's easy to attack them when you're taking money from them at the same time, eh? What did you say about money and the root of evil? :hmmm:

How old are you btw?

From the way your posts read, older than you are...More experience in life will doubtless temper your views.

You take me seriously enough to respond to my posts... You seem to be taking this all very personally.

Not at all; it's fun watching someone make such foolish claims about shopping. You've been the one making such bizarre statements. Perhaps you should read back through them.

Why can't you stick to the issue?

Which is what, that shopping at Walmart is wrong? Moreso than accepting money from them and supporting them as a supplier? As I said, you're nothing if not entertaining...That's why I can't take you seriously. B)

Originally posted by Please+Oct 3 2005, 05:03 PM-->

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:56 PM

Don't be such an idiot...

Perhaps you can help me by clarifying the basis for comment that started all this. I referred to a scripture that says the love of money is the root of all evil. You responded by saying that (in as many words) there are more evil things than money. If you weren't insinuating that I think the love of money is more evil than the things you mentioned, then what was the basis for your comment?? To be cute? Funny perhaps?

Due to the fact that the conversation we are engaged in has a lot to do with money, and nothing to do with rape, incest, child molestation, and wife beating I just wasn't quite sure where you were going with all that.