The Axis Of Evil... Walmart!

seamusz

Originally posted by Outshined+Oct 3 2005, 05:10 PM-->

How old are you btw?

From the way your posts read, older than you are...More experience in life will doubtless temper your views.

lol, but not sure enough to post your age? I see...

<!--QuoteBegin-Outshined@Oct 3 2005, 05:10 PM

You take me seriously enough to respond to my posts... You seem to be taking this all very personally.

Not at all; it's fun watching someone make such foolish claims about shopping. You've been the one making such bizarre statements. Perhaps you should read back through them.

So your plan is to put down those that attually care about their community and are trying to make a difference? I though this was a LDS board.

Why can't you stick to the issue?

Which is what, that shopping at Walmart is wrong? Moreso than accepting money from them and supporting them as a supplier? As I said, you're nothing if not entertaining...That's why I can't take you seriously. B)

I don't accept money from walmart, I am a vendor... If it weren't for you posts laced with anger and bitterness I might be enjoying this conversation.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by seamusz@Oct 3 2005, 05:20 PM

lol, but not sure enough to post your age?  I see...

I'm 39, veteran of two wars; and you?

So your plan is to put down those that attually care about their community and are trying to make a difference?  I though this was a LDS board.

As opposed to implying that those who don't shop as you do or share your irrational hatred for a single store are not worthy to attend the Temple?

I don't accept money from walmart, I am a vendor... 

So your boss gets money from Walmart and in turn pays you for supplying them. Quite a difference. :rolleyes:

If it weren't for you posts laced with anger and bitterness I might be enjoying this conversation.

Anger? Bitterness? Not on this end. Perhaps you are simply reading too much into it; projecting, as it were...

If you aren't having fun, perhaps I should bow out so the attacks on Walmart and their customers can continue unopposed.

:sparklygrin::sparklygrin:

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by daizymae+Oct 3 2005, 05:19 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 04:51 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:48 PM

then I tried to describe some evil stuff that wasn't based upon the love of money... because daisy was saying that all evil was based upon the love of money... LOL THERE I SAID IT... sense or no cents...

Good grief....you make it sound like I support other evil practices just because they don't have anything to do with money. I was referring to a specific scripture, that's all.

I can't help the way you took it... good grief!

Took it what way?? The way you said it??

Don't be such an idiot...

Perhaps you can help me by clarifying the basis for comment that started all this. I referred to a scripture that says the love of money is the root of all evil. You responded by saying that (in as many words) there are more evil things than money. If you weren't insinuating that I think the love of money is more evil than the things you mentioned, then what was the basis for your comment?? To be cute? Funny perhaps?

Due to the fact that the conversation we are engaged in has a lot to do with money, and nothing to do with rape, incest, child molestation, and wife beating I just wasn't quite sure where you were going with all that.

KEY WORD INSINUATE..... I never insinuate... I alway say just what I mean... ask anyone here...

Originally posted by Outshined+Oct 3 2005, 05:25 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-seamusz@Oct 3 2005, 05:20 PM

lol, but not sure enough to post your age?  I see...

I'm 39, veteran of two wars; and you?

My most sincere respect for you service to the country. Thank you.

26, and trying my best to do the right thing.

So your plan is to put down those that attually care about their community and are trying to make a difference?  I though this was a LDS board.

As opposed to implying that those who don't shop as you do or share your hatred for a single store do are not worthy to attend the Temple?

Please stop putting words into my mouth.

I don't accept money from walmart, I am a vendor... 

So your boss gets money from Walmart and in turn pays you for supplying them. Quite a difference. :rolleyes:

I am an employee of an ethical local company who does business with stores up and down Utah. To me there is a big difference.

If it weren't for you posts laced with anger and bitterness I might be enjoying this conversation.

Anger? Bitterness? Not on this end. Perhaps you are simply reading too much into it; projecting, as it were...

I may be reading to much, but that is what it is coming across as.

If you aren't having fun, perhaps I should bow out so the attacks on Walmart and their customers can continue unopposed.

:sparklygrin:  :sparklygrin:

You don't need to bow out, but attacking me personally isn't really good form in a discussoin.

Outshined....perhaps you could continue here (or start a new thread) sharing some of the research you've done regarding this topic....you have done some, haven't you?

You seem to have the attitude that since there are a ton of other businesses out there that have unethical practices, it's just too much work to speak out against it. Seamusz obviously holds a pretty strong negative perception of Walmart....but he's never said that he loves all of those other businesses. I don't see the double standard that you are describing. I see someone who is fighting for a cause that he believes strongly in. He hasn't claimed to be perfect. Heck, he might even have a pair of Nike's in his closet. But at least he is making an effort to do what he believes to be right.

I think the point of this thread was to get people thinking....in this particular case, about Walmart....but on a broader range, we, as Latter-Day Saints, need to stand up for honesty. It's not always convenient, and it's not always cheap. But if we ignore the facts, or choose to not even inform ourselves (on ANY topic....not just Walmart), then are we not perpetuating the cycle of deception and support it's continuacne?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 05:34 PM

Outshined....perhaps you could continue here (or start a new thread) sharing some of the research you've done regarding this topic....you have done some, haven't you?

You seem to have the attitude that since there are a ton of other businesses out there that have unethical practices, it's just too much work to speak out against it.  Seamusz obviously holds a pretty strong negative perception of Walmart....but he's never said that he loves all of those other businesses.  I don't see the double standard that you are describing.  I see someone who is fighting for a cause that he believes strongly in.  He hasn't claimed to be perfect.  Heck, he might even have a pair of Nike's in his closet.  But at least he is making an effort to do what he believes to be right.

I think the point of this thread was to get people thinking....in this particular case, about Walmart....but on a broader range, we, as Latter-Day Saints, need to stand up for honesty.  It's not always convenient, and it's not always cheap.  But if we ignore the facts, or choose to not even inform ourselves (on ANY topic....not just Walmart), then are we not perpetuating the cycle of deception and support it's continuacne?

I think the place to start fixing things is in your county government... they have absolutely no checks and balances... yet they collect the majority of taxes in your state...

Originally posted by Please+Oct 3 2005, 05:25 PM-->

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 04:51 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Oct 3 2005, 04:48 PM

then I tried to describe some evil stuff that wasn't based upon the love of money... because daisy was saying that all evil was based upon the love of money... LOL THERE I SAID IT... sense or no cents...

Good grief....you make it sound like I support other evil practices just because they don't have anything to do with money. I was referring to a specific scripture, that's all.

I can't help the way you took it... good grief!

Took it what way?? The way you said it??

Don't be such an idiot...

Perhaps you can help me by clarifying the basis for comment that started all this. I referred to a scripture that says the love of money is the root of all evil. You responded by saying that (in as many words) there are more evil things than money. If you weren't insinuating that I think the love of money is more evil than the things you mentioned, then what was the basis for your comment?? To be cute? Funny perhaps?

Due to the fact that the conversation we are engaged in has a lot to do with money, and nothing to do with rape, incest, child molestation, and wife beating I just wasn't quite sure where you were going with all that.

KEY WORD INSINUATE..... I never insinuate... I alway say just what I mean... ask anyone here...

OK....then take out the word INSINUATE....and then answer the question. I just don't get what your comment had to do with the topic. :dontknow:

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 05:36 PM

I think the place to start fixing things is in your county government...  they have absolutely no checks and balances... yet they collect the majority of taxes in your state...

And on that note, I'll put in a plug for the primary elections that are going on in many communities tomorrow....GET OUT AND VOTE!! :)

Originally posted by seamusz@Oct 3 2005, 05:31 PM

26, and trying my best to do the right thing.

That's the most anyone can ask. ;)

Actually, you are the one who said when interviewed for a recommend, you need to consider whether you shop at Walmart when they ask if you are honest in all your dealings. You said:

Is it, or is it not a question in the Temple Recommend Interview "Are you honest with your dealings with your fellow man"(or something along those lines)

If you knowingly support a business that you know exploits workers, children, governments, and other businesses for personal gain, are you guiltless?

That was pretty clear.

I am an employee of an ethical local company who does business with stores up and down Utah.  To me there is a big difference.

Not to me; it's still supporting them and accepting their money. Anyway, what's important is how you feel about it.

If you don't want to shop at Wally World, then don't; but don't condemn those who do or pressume to klnow their motives for helping so many who are in need. Selfish or not, I saw a lot of people being helped by the supplies Walmart sent to Mississippi.

Guest Member_Deleted

OK....then take out the word INSINUATE....and then answer the question.  I just don't get what your comment had to do with the topic. :dontknow:

I replied to this and it didn't come through.. I think you are suffering from a tad of paranoia... I didn't say anything about YOU...

And if you are so interested in being the good LDS... consider Brigham Youngs teachings:

It is a fool who takes offense when none was intended... and he is still a fool when he takes offense even if offense was intended...

Originally posted by Please@Oct 3 2005, 05:43 PM

I think this whole thread was nothing more than a personal rant... to think it has gotten to this point is not good.

Again...that's easy for you to say because you haven't had a negative experience with Walmart. More than one person here has, so I think it's a little more than a personal rant. It didn't make to 8 pages without your help :D

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 05:34 PM

You seem to have the attitude that since there are a ton of other businesses out there that have unethical practices, it's just too much work to speak out against it.  Seamusz obviously holds a pretty strong negative perception of Walmart....but he's never said that he loves all of those other businesses.  I don't see the double standard that you are describing.  I see someone who is fighting for a cause that he believes strongly in.  He hasn't claimed to be perfect.  Heck, he might even have a pair of Nike's in his closet.  But at least he is making an effort to do what he believes to be right.

I think the point of this thread was to get people thinking....in this particular case, about Walmart....but on a broader range, we, as Latter-Day Saints, need to stand up for honesty.  It's not always convenient, and it's not always cheap.  But if we ignore the facts, or choose to not even inform ourselves (on ANY topic....not just Walmart), then are we not perpetuating the cycle of deception and support it's continuacne?

Certainly. Do a quick search on "sweatshops" and you will find many articles on the dealings of US companies with such suppliers. You have certainly misread my attitude toward the subject. My view is that if you are to take a strong stance on such practices, be consistent, and face it in all its forms instead of focusing on one company as if they are the only one you have to deal with. This behavior is rampant in American business.

Some links to check out: http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/sweatshops/nike

http://theearthcenter.com/ffarchivessweatshops1.html

http://www.organicconsumers.org/clothes/nike041505.cfm

http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/sweatshops/scorecard.cfm

http://www.organicconsumers.org/clothes/03...p_jc_penney.cfm

http://www.businessweek.com/2000/00_45/b3706008.htm

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by daizymae+Oct 3 2005, 05:47 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Oct 3 2005, 05:43 PM

I think this whole thread was nothing more than a personal rant... to think it has gotten to this point is not good.

Again...that's easy for you to say because you haven't had a negative experience with Walmart. More than one person here has, so I think it's a little more than a personal rant. It didn't make to 8 pages without your help :D

It is still a personal rant... I am sure many have had bad experiences with many businesses... having been a customer service person for a big buisness I know that people get upset with a lot of things... and many times... it is the narrow thinking of the person that makes it a big problem... not the company itself..

OK....then take out the word INSINUATE....and then answer the question.  I just don't get what your comment had to do with the topic. :dontknow:

I replied to this and it didn't come through.. I think you are suffering from a tad of paranoia... I didn't say anything about YOU...

And if you are so interested in being the good LDS... consider Brigham Youngs teachings:

It is a fool who takes offense when none was intended... and he is still a fool when he takes offense even if offense was intended...

Gee thanks Please....you're right...what would I do without you???

:bighug:

Originally posted by Outshined@Oct 3 2005, 05:41 PM

Actually, you are the one who said when interviewed for a recommend, you need to consider whether you shop at Walmart when they ask if you are honest in all your dealings. You said:

Is it, or is it not a question in the Temple Recommend Interview "Are you honest with your dealings with your fellow man"(or something along those lines) 

If you knowingly support a business that you know exploits workers, children, governments, and other businesses for personal gain, are you guiltless?

That was pretty clear.

yes, that is what I said, I did not say "As opposed to implying that those who don't shop as you do or share your hatred for a single store do are not worthy to attend the Temple?". I stand by what I said. I hope that Walmart crumbles and falls OR changes their practices. When and if they change how they do business, I will then give them as much crap as I give others.

Personally I could not feel good about myself by shopping at Walmart. It is not my business to concerm myself about anyone elses Temple Recommend. I can see how that sounds really condescending, but that isn't how I mean it.

I am an employee of an ethical local company who does business with stores up and down Utah.  To me there is a big difference.

Not to me; it's still supporting them and accepting their money. Anyway, what's important is how you feel about it.

If you don't want to shop at Wally World, then don't; but don't condemn those who do or presume to know their motives for helping so many who are in need. Selfish or not, I saw a lot of people being helped by the supplies Walmart sent to Mississippi.

Like I said earlier, I didn't mean to condemn anyone. I did want to make clear that we are not blameless when it comes to where we shop, and that it does matter.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by daizymae+Oct 3 2005, 05:50 PM-->

Gee thanks Please....you're right...what would I do without you???

:bighug:

:dontknow::hmmm:

Originally posted by Outshined@Oct 3 2005, 05:50 PM

Certainly. Do a quick search on "sweatshops" and you will find many articles on the dealings of US companies with such suppliers. You have certainly misread my attitude toward the subject. My view is that if you are to take a strong stance on such practices, be consistent, and face it in all its forms instead of focusing on one company as if they are the only one you have to deal with. This behavior is rampant in American business.

I think you're missing the boat if you think the basis of this conversation is sweatshops. You were the first person to bring up sweatshops. From my perspective, the discussion has a lot more to do with total business ethics than how the goods being sold are made (though that plays a part in the overall picture).

Originally posted by Please+Oct 3 2005, 05:43 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-first post said

Just thought I'd make a plug for a new movie that shows the darker side of Wally World.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/

not a rant, just a little plug for a movie.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by seamusz+Oct 3 2005, 05:55 PM-->

Just thought I'd make a plug for a new movie that shows the darker side of Wally World.

LOL :hmmm: yeah right.

Originally posted by Please+Oct 3 2005, 06:04 PM-->
Originally posted by seamusz+Oct 3 2005, 05:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seamusz @ Oct 3 2005, 05:55 PM)

LOL :hmmm: yeah right.

:D ok, you are right... That is one short rant though....

Please... have you ever not been right?

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 05:54 PM

I think you're missing the boat if you think the basis of this conversation is sweatshops.  You were the first person to bring up sweatshops.  From my perspective, the discussion has a lot more to do with total business ethics than how the goods being sold are made (though that plays a part in the overall picture).

And if you read the links provided, you'll realize that Walmart is the rule, not the exception. If you think otherwise, you're missing the boat. ;)

Such practices are found in every US business. Walmart has just had the most success.