Conservatism, we hardly know ye . . .

Just_A_Guy

. . . studies show that approximately 40% of American adults consider themselves to be conservatives. I would therefore posit that a well-educated American college graduate should have some idea of what mainstream conservatives think, and why they think it.

Yet the late controversy over Rush Limbaugh and the Rams suggests that many well-educated liberals don’t know the first thing about American conservatism. In particular, I found it extremely troubling that so many columnists, bloggers, political figures, and so on, were gullible/ignorant enough to believe that a mainstream figure like Limbaugh publicly praised the assassination of MLK, or stated that “slavery had its merits,” without any apparent controversy at the times these alleged remarks were made, with no diminishing of his 20 million strong audience, and with no harm to his political standing among conservatives and within GOP circles.

Read the whole thing.

I would be far more concerned if any of the liberals I knew personally or read blogs of got caught up in trying to lynch Rush. In fact I consider myself fairly liberal and even posted in the thread here about Rush that I didn't think he was guilty of racism after looking at the arguments.

Also, before getting too smug over how liberals don't know what conservatism is really about, consider that many conservatives don't know what liberals are really all about either. I know this because I am constantly told by conservatives what I believe as a liberal and none of it seems to match up with my actual beliefs, or the beliefs of many liberals I know.

Also, before getting too smug over how liberals don't know what conservatism is really about, consider that many conservatives don't know what liberals are really all about either. I know this because I am constantly told by conservatives what I believe as a liberal and none of it seems to match up with my actual beliefs, or the beliefs of many liberals I know.

Wait... Are you telling me you don' spend all your free time hating America, kicking puppies, stealing candy from children and being secretly marxist?

Dang it! I want my money back!

/me throws his copy of Liberals for Dummies: A Conservative Guide in the trash.

read blogs of got caught up in trying to lynch Rush. In fact I consider myself fairly liberal and even posted in the thread here about Rush that I didn't think he was guilty of racism after looking at the arguments.

Why do liberals hate RUSH? I have been a fan since I was in 9th grade...like 1979. I have seen RUSH 14 times and own all of there music. Awesome Canadians...Alex, Geddy and Neil!!:cool:

Why do liberals hate RUSH? I have been a fan since I was in 9th grade...like 1979. I have seen RUSH 14 times and own all of there music. Awesome Canadians...Alex, Geddy and Neil!!:cool:

Yeah, I wonder too since Rush are liberal and atheists.

I've been wondering about this for a while. My family is woefully ignorant about the mainstream political views of the day (they're conservative except for my older sister, who's moderate/liberal). What I've noticed is that they don't take the time to educate themselves. They also can't stand hearing the facts stated by me (maybe I get overbearing and condescending (such is their claim), but it happens too often when I'm carefully monitoring my own bearing for it to be wholly my fault).

I think this is a simple ignorance problem among many Americans regardless of ideology. Many allow themselves to go with the flow of one of numerous ideological groupings (all falling between liberalism and conservatism) and refuse to pursue facts because it's hard and/or inconvenient. For instance, mother's dealing with a plethora of emotional and physical issues while dealing with a deadbeet ex-husband and raising her daughter- my mother doesn't have the time nor the energy to educate herself on these matters. My little sister, on the other hand, is largely uninterested and content to back Obama because she "likes his eyes" (she saw him on television a couple of times), and because my mom backs him.

I've been wondering about this for a while. My family is woefully ignorant about the mainstream political views of the day (they're conservative except for my older sister, who's moderate/liberal). What I've noticed is that they don't take the time to educate themselves. They also can't stand hearing the facts stated by me (maybe I get overbearing and condescending (such is their claim), but it happens too often when I'm carefully monitoring my own bearing for it to be wholly my fault).

I think this is a simple ignorance problem among many Americans regardless of ideology. Many allow themselves to go with the flow of one of numerous ideological groupings (all falling between liberalism and conservatism) and refuse to pursue facts because it's hard and/or inconvenient. For instance, mother's dealing with a plethora of emotional and physical issues while dealing with a deadbeet ex-husband and raising her daughter- my mother doesn't have the time nor the energy to educate herself on these matters. My little sister, on the other hand, is largely uninterested and content to back Obama because she "likes his eyes" (she saw him on television a couple of times), and because my mom backs him.

Politics IS like rooting for your favorite football team to win, regardless of how stupid the players are.......:huh:

Somebody is making a tremendous amount of currency - Either political or monetary - Keeping the divide in America as wide as it is. It's ridiculous to me that anybody could believe that a vast majority of Americans would follow someone making David Dukes-esque remarks.

I would hazard a guess that a lot of people find it easier to go with the grain of those who are their peers than to question reality and find out the truth.

EDIT: I should point out that I don't claim to have the truth. I recognize it's a murky sea out there. I try to find it, and I try to spot inconsistencies, but I don't know that I have the truth. That won't stop me looking for it, though.

• 2 weeks later...

You may wonder why it took me so long to reply too this tread. It's because I am a very slow thinker.

Here is some of different definitions I have come up with;

Conservative-someone who feels with his/her heart and acts with there head.

Liberal-someone who feels with his/her heart and acts from emotion.

Progressive-someone who feels from his/her ego and acts from a self centered, give me the power and I will fix things point of view.

Communist-a progressive with a army.

President Obama is not a Communist, because the Constitution doesn't let him use the army against his own people. Not that he would...........if he could.

Wait... Are you telling me you don' spend all your free time hating America, kicking puppies, stealing candy from children and being secretly marxist?

Dang it! I want my money back!

/me throws his copy of Liberals for Dummies: A Conservative Guide in the trash.

Liberals don't kick puppies. Look at what they did to Michael Vick. Also, they only steal candy from children to combat childhood obesity.

The real thing they spend all their time doing is working to grant clemency to illegals, and change the national language to spanish!