Is Preach My Gospel modern scripture?

Taldarin

Could Preach My Gospel be considered scripture?

I've had this question for a while now haha. In the MTC, they taught us that it was. But I still wasn't sure.

It was written by the apostles, and everything the apostles wrote in olden times would eventually be counted as canonical scripture... Obviously, Paul is a major example of this.

But at the same time... Isn't it consistently under revision?

How many times did Paul revise his letters before he sent them?

Hmm...

I don't believe it is scripture. It is the general way that the prophets and apostles want us to preach, but I recall Elder Holland at a conference in my mission said to us that he has some reservations about PMG, it making preaching the gospel a little too complicated, then the principle is a simple one- open your mouth.

There is a conferrence talk on this topic, I believe. In it, it listed the four standard works and anything that the First Presidency has released in their role as First Presidency, as scripture. Anything else, including conferrence talks and Church manuals have a different status.

:)

Anything written by the prophet and apostles through divine revelation is considered latter day scripture. Conference talks, ensign articles and Preach my Gospel are all forms of modern scripture.

Many members of the Church think this way, but the Church has clarified scripture as (1) the four Standard works, (2) the declarations and proclamations of the First Presidency, and (3) the Articles of Faith (in the scriptures, not the book).

See Approaching Mormon Doctrine - LDS Newsroom

excerpt:

The doctrinal tenets of any religion are best understood within a broad context (see here and here), and thoughtful analysis is required to understand them. News reporters pressed by daily deadlines often find that problematic. Therefore, as the Church continues to grow throughout the world and receive increasing media attention, a few simple principles that facilitate a better understanding may be helpful:

• Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.
So the church publications and magazines, lesson manuals etc. are the authorized teachings based on the doctrines of the Church, but are not in and of themselves doctrine.

HiJolly

Preach My Gospel and the lessons contained in it, are simply a guide to missionary work according to the current missionary program of the Church. It is a product of continuing revelation of living prophets and apostles, and is completely in harmony with the official doctrine of the Church, which is found in the Standard Works. Previously, The Missionary Guide and the Discussions that accompanied it were also in harmony with the doctrines taught in the scriptures.

If you read "Jesus of Nazareth is the Christ, the Son of the living God." carved into a tree, it is no less true, and no less scripture to us than if you had read it from the Bible or Book of Mormon. The same is true about words spoken under the influence of the Holy Ghost, by those who have authority to teach. They will be in harmony with the binding doctrine of the Church, and will therefore be scripture to us (see D&C 64:4).

Regards,

Vanhin

Could Preach My Gospel be considered scripture?

I've had this question for a while now haha. In the MTC, they taught us that it was. But I still wasn't sure.

It was written by the apostles, and everything the apostles wrote in olden times would eventually be counted as canonical scripture... Obviously, Paul is a major example of this.

But at the same time... Isn't it consistently under revision?

How many times did Paul revise his letters before he sent them?

Hmm...

That which is given by the power of the Holy Ghost is scripture but may not be part of the "standard" works or standard scriptures or even scriptures for all peoples. A patriarchal blessing for example could be part of an individual’s personal scriptures.

The Traveler

I like Travelers answer to the OP.

In response to the comments on Paul, we must remember that the Bible in and of itself is not as whole or perfect as it once was, as it has been translated, interpreted, and sifted through the hands of conspiring men over time. For all we know Paul never actually said anything about women speaking in church. That said, Joseph Smith clarified the meaning of that verse to be that women shouldn't lead in church. This is a practice of the church today as far as priesthood leadership goes.

"Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine."

So this would, obviously, apply also to Paul?

Are some things that he wrote be simply opinions declared as scripture, and not the actual doctrine of Christ?

I'm thinking that there is at least once where he himself stated he was offering his opinion on a matter. I think it dealt with chosing to remain single in order to further the Lord's work.

:)

After reading Ranman's response to Taldarin, I had an additional thought concerning Paul's writings.

I would just like to point out that not everything he said or wrote is in the Bible. I'd bet that most of his opinions and words are not scripture. As it happens, it wasn't as easy then to record things as it is now (lack of audio recording equipment to refer to), so I think they only recorded what they considered most important, where we tend to record everything.

PMG is filled with principles, doctrines and policies of the Church. It has replaced previous manuals for missionary work. It will probably be replaced sometime in the next 20 years.

That said, it does fit into one definition of the term: scripture - things taught by the Spirit of God. Yet it does not fit into the concept of canonized scripture, which requires being presented before the Church for a sustaining vote.