John Dehlin

sulli

John Dehlin?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. John Dehlin?

• I have never heard of him.
    • I regularly listen to his podcasts and love him!
    • I regularly listen to his podcasts and sometimes disagree with him but respect him.
    • I think he is an apostate/bordering on antimormon.
    • Just show me the results.

Sorry for not responding; I haven't had time to sit down and offer a serious reply until now (and I'm somewhat hurried; needing to go get a haircut).

I disagree. Just because his crisis of faith did not lead to the church's prescribed path does not mean he did not overcome his crisis of faith, and it does not mean he does not have faith because when it comes down to it we all walk by faith.

There is one path to the Father- that is the path clearly perscribed by Christ and His authorized servants. Those who do not walk this path but veer slightly in either direction are barred from entry. Mr. Dehlin may be as honestly sincere as anyone else (in all honesty I doubt it)- but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't walking the right path and, therefore, absolutely cannot help anyone else find it.

It is very popular in the church to say "I know" but we don't actually "know". We believe.

It is possible to concretely know. There are members of the Church to whom Christ appears personally, as HE appeared to HIS disciples after HIS ressurection. Faith leads to knowledge- when the Brother of Jared saw the hand of God, his faith was replaced with knowledge. Many similar events have occured to people but because of the depravity of the world, they are not known (pearls before swine, and all that).

I don't like the direction that this thread has taken and I don't think it was good judgement on my part to post this thread in the first place. I want to apologize publicly to John and also say to Matthew that you don't have a right to say someone is or is not on the right path. In the church the that is the job of the stake pres or bishop. We are all here to progress the best that we can and we don't have any room to judge others.

I requested this thread be deleted but if it is not I just want to apologize to John again.

There is one path to the Father- that is the path clearly perscribed by Christ and His authorized servants. Those who do not walk this path but veer slightly in either direction are barred from entry. Mr. Dehlin may be as honestly sincere as anyone else (in all honesty I doubt it)- but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't walking the right path and, therefore, absolutely cannot help anyone else find it.

No path has the exact footsteps market out- a path demarks a direction of travel and set boundaries- within the boundaries of the path however, there is latitude for movement. Even if you were to grasp the proverbial iron rod within your hand, you would not follow the exact footsteps of your fellow travelers- you would travel your own unique course, but with the same direction as everyone else. As for your parenthetical remark... wow...

It is possible to concretely know. There are members of the Church to whom Christ appears personally, as HE appeared to HIS disciples after HIS ressurection. Faith leads to knowledge- when the Brother of Jared saw the hand of God, his faith was replaced with knowledge. Many similar events have occured to people but because of the depravity of the world, they are not known (pearls before swine, and all that).

Using outlier examples to prove a point doesn't really help. The fact is, for the vast majority of the population, Christ will never appear and confer this direct knowledge... for them they most assuredly are operating on faith and hope.

...There is one path to the Father- that is the path clearly perscribed by Christ and His authorized servants. Those who do not walk this path but veer slightly in either direction are barred from entry. Mr. Dehlin may be as honestly sincere as anyone else (in all honesty I doubt it)- but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't walking the right path and, therefore, absolutely cannot help anyone else find it....

I guess I shouldn't be too shocked by how self-righteous some people can be.

I did not vote but would have with this:

I rarely listen to his podcasts but have enjoyed the few I have listened to.

M.