Is it just me?

missmatalini

Guest jollyroger

I really liked your question. There's a member in our ward who at one point stayed at home while his wife worked. He told me he felt pressure from the ward to go out to work so his wife could stay at home. I told him it was nobody#s business how his family organised themselves. At some point me and my husband might do the same thing.

I do wonder at times how much of what is taught is man made and what is inspired! Not that I don't know that the church isn't true, but I used to be in the YW presidency and there didn't seem to be room to do things that weren't 'girl' things. I'm sure most sisters would love a husband who did housework, cooked and all that 'womany' stuff. Women these days want to work but they get lumbered with the housework as well as work whereas men go to work and get away with not helping at home. Men in general are glad not to be the sole provider as it takes some of the pressure off them to provide for the family, it's true also that women would like some help at home so it takes the pressure off them to be the sole cook and cleaner and child care provider.

Most activities in church seem to be 'girl' orientated but I don't believe that's the way HF expects us to be. You can be a sister who's a car mechanic, scientist, builder, farmer and all those 'men' things. I try and see it this way. What man wants and what the Lord wants from us are two entirely different things. We can't know that the Lord is happy for women to become body builders if people at church discourage us as it's not feminine to do this. Anyway, I hope you get what I mean!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 years is a good age. It's at this point that a lot of teens are seriously looking at the world and seeing it as it is, without all those shades of grey that most adults notice. The priesthood is held by men, and on the surface that seems unfair. But it must be understood that even without holding the priesthood women are joint-heirs to the kingdom of God. Other girls your age might talk about husbands and babies a lot, but that's probably how their own family is set up. Tearing your ideas and dreams are a way of trying to get you to conform, thus validating their world-view. This is a good time to learn to see why people say things, kind've understanding their point of reference. It doesn't mean they're right, but understanding others may help you become more compassionate towards others, and that's always a good thing!