Quotes by Joseph Smith: “Humility/Humble"

Hemidakota

Humility, Humble

Introduction:

Elder Spencer W. Kimball - Humility is teachableness-an ability to realize that all virtues and abilities are not concentrated in one's self. . . .

Humility is never accusing nor contentious. . . .

Humility is repentant and seeks not to justify its follies. It is forgiving others in the realization that there may be errors of the same kind or worse chalked up against itself. . . .

Humility makes no bid for popularity and notoriety; demands no honors. . . .

It is not self-abasement-the hiding in the corner, the devaluation of everything one does or thinks or says; but it is the doing of one's best in every case and leaving of one's acts, expressions, and accomplishments to largely speak for themselves. ("Humility," Brigham Young University Speeches of the Year, Provo, Utah, 16 Jan. 1963) TLDP:292; DCSM:27

See alsoBroken Heart; Meek, Meekness; Poor; Pride; Weakness

Definition: To make meek and teachable, or the condition of being meek and teachable. Humility includes recognizing our dependence upon God and desiring to submit to his will.

History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:

And thus was this error [Oliver Cowdery's claim that he had discovered an error in one of the revelations, viz., D&C 20:37] rooted out, which having its rise in presumption and rash judgment, was the more particularly calculated (when once fairly understood) to teach each and all of us the necessity of humility and meekness before the Lord, that He might teach us of His ways, that we might walk in His paths, and live by every word that proceedeth forth from His mouth. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 1:105)

Great harmony prevailed; several were ordained; faith was strengthened; and humility, so necessary for the blessing of God to follow prayer, characterized the Saints. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 1:176-77)

[A general epistle from Zion] was read by the brethren in Kirtland with feelings of the deepest interest, knowing as we did, that the anger of the Lord was kindled against you, and nothing but repentance, of the greatest humility, would turn it away. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 1:340)

Had you made such confession as you were required to, at Chippeway, all things would have worked together for your good, and as I told you; but you did not manifest that degree of humility to the brethren that was required, but remained obstinate; for that reason God withdrew His Spirit from you, and left you in darkness. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 1:370)

Brother Ezra Thayre and Joseph Hancock are sick with the cholera. Thomas Heyes was taken today. Previous to crossing the Mississippi river I had called the camp together and told them that in consequence of the disobedience of some who had been unwilling to listen to my words, but had rebelled, God had decreed that sickness should come upon the camp, and if they did not repent and humble themselves before God they should die like sheep with the rot; that I was sorry, but could not help it. The scourge must come; repentance and humility may mitigate the chastisement, but cannot altogether avert it. But there were some who would not give heed to my words. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 2:106-7)

Minutes: President Joseph Smith, Jun., arose, and said, . . . that Brother Jared Carter . . . , not being sufficiently humble to deliver just the message that was required, . . . stumbled and could not get the Spirit. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 2:280)

Thus came the word of the Lord unto me concerning the Twelve, saying

Behold they are under condemnation, because they have not been sufficiently humble in my sight, and in consequence of their covetous desires, in that they have not dealt equally with each other in the division of the monies which came into their hands, nevertheless, some of them dealt equally, therefore they shall be rewarded; but verily I say unto you, they must all humble themselves before me, before they will be accounted worthy to receive an endowment, to go forth in my name unto all nations.

. . . The residue [of the Twelve] are not sufficiently humble before me. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 2:300, 301)

I then addressed them and gave much instruction calculated to guard them against self-sufficiency, self-righteousness, and selfimportance; touching upon many subjects of importance and value to all who wish to walk humbly before the Lord, and especially teaching them to observe charity, wisdom and fellow-feeling, with love one towards another in all things, and under all circumstances. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 3:383)

Long-suffering, patience, and mercy have ever characterized the dealings of our heavenly Father towards the humble and penitent. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 4:163)

It would be gratifying to my mind to see the Saints in Kirtland flourish, but think the time is not yet come; and I assure you it never will until a different order of things be established and a different spirit manifested. When confidence is restored, when pride shall fall, and every aspiring mind be clothed with humility as with a garment, and selfishness give place to benevolence and charity, and a united determination to live by every word which proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord is observable, then, and not till then, can peace, order and love prevail.

It is in consequence of aspiring men that Kirtland has been forsaken. How frequently has your humble servant been envied in his office by such characters, who endeavored to raise themselves to power at his expense, and seeing it impossible to do so, resorted to foul slander and abuse, and other means to effect his overthrow. Such characters have ever been the first to cry out against the Presidency, and publish their faults and foibles to the four winds of heaven. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 4:166)

God exalts the humble, and debases the haughty. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 6:74)

Other Journals:

The true principle of honor in the Church of the Saints, that the more a man is exalted, the more humble he will be, if actuated by the Spirit of the Lord, seemed to have been overlooked. (Joseph Smith, The Papers of Joseph Smith, 2 vols. 1:23)

Page 1 of 2

Edited by Hemidakota

Doctrine & Covenants References: (Lord quotes to Joseph – search term is Humility/Humble):

Doctrine and Covenants 61:37 - And inasmuch as you have humbled yourselves before me, the blessings of the kingdom are yours.

Doctrine and Covenants 136:33 - For my Spirit is sent forth into the world to enlighten the humble and contrite, and to the condemnation of the ungodly.

Doctrine and Covenants 67:10 - And again, verily I say unto you that it is your privilege, and a promise I give unto you that have been ordained unto this ministry, that inasmuch as you strip yourselves from jealousies and fears, and humble yourselves before me, for ye are not sufficiently humble, the veil shall be rent and you shall see me and know that I am—not with the carnal neither natural mind, but with the spiritual.

Doctrine and Covenants 1:28 - And inasmuch as they were humble they might be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receive knowledge from time to time.

Doctrine and Covenants 5:24 - Behold, I say unto him, he exalts himself and does not humble himself sufficiently before me; but if he will bow down before me, and humble himself in mighty prayer and faith, in the sincerity of his heart, then will I grant unto him a view of the things which he desires to see.

Doctrine and Covenants 54:3 - And if your brethren desire to escape their enemies, let them repent of all their sins, and become truly humble before me and contrite.

Doctrine and Covenants 19:41 - Or canst thou be humble and meek, and conduct thyself wisely before me? Yea, come unto me thy Savior. Amen.

Doctrine and Covenants 104:23 - And I will multiply blessings upon him, inasmuch as he will be humble before me.

Doctrine and Covenants 104:79 - And it is my will that you shall humble yourselves before me, and obtain this blessing by your diligence and humility and the prayer of faith.

Doctrine and Covenants 104:82 - And inasmuch as ye are humble and faithful and call upon my name, behold, I will give you the victory.

Doctrine and Covenants 112:10 - Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.

Doctrine and Covenants 112:22 - Inasmuch as they shall humble themselves before me, and abide in my word, and hearken to the voice of my Spirit.

Doctrine and Covenants 76:93 - Before whose throne all things bow in humble reverence, and give him glory forever and ever.

Doctrine and Covenants 124:103 - And again, verily I say unto you, if my servant Sidney will serve me and be counselor unto my servant Joseph, let him arise and come up and stand in the office of his calling, and humble himself before me.

Doctrine and Covenants 20:6 - But after repenting, and humbling himself sincerely, through faith, God ministered unto him by an holy angel, whose countenance was as lightning, and whose garments were pure and white above all other whiteness;

Doctrine and Covenants 128:25 - Brethren, I have many things to say to you on the subject; but shall now close for the present, and continue the subject another time. I am, as ever, your humble servant and never deviating friend,

Doctrine and Covenants 136:32 - Let him that is ignorant learn wisdom by humbling himself and calling upon the Lord his God, that his eyes may be opened that he may see, and his ears opened that he may hear;

Doctrine and Covenants 105:23 - And let all my people who dwell in the regions round about be very faithful, and prayerful, and humble before me, and reveal not the things which I have revealed unto them, until it is wisdom in me that they should be revealed.

Doctrine and Covenants 29:2 - Who will gather his people even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, even as many as will hearken to my voice and humble themselves before me, and call upon me in mighty prayer.

Doctrine and Covenants 104:80 - And inasmuch as you are diligent and humble, and exercise the prayer of faith, behold, I will soften the hearts of those to whom you are in debt, until I shall send means unto you for your deliverance.

Doctrine and Covenants 106:7 - Therefore, blessed is my servant Warren, for I will have mercy on him; and, notwithstanding the vanity of his heart, I will lift him up inasmuch as he will humble himself before me.

Doctrine and Covenants 84:112 - And the bishop, Newel K. Whitney, also should travel round about and among all the churches, searching after the poor to administer to their wants by humbling the rich and the proud.

Doctrine and Covenants 12:8 - And no one can assist in this work except he shall be humble and full of love, having faith, hope, and charity, being temperate in all things, whatsoever shall be entrusted to his care.

Doctrine and Covenants 124:97 - Let my servant William Law also receive the keys by which he may ask and receive blessings; let him be humble before me, and be without guile, and he shall receive of my Spirit, even the Comforter, which shall manifest unto him the truth of all things, and shall give him, in the very hour, what he shall say.

Doctrine and Covenants 61:2 - Behold, verily thus saith the Lord unto you, O ye elders of my church, who are assembled upon this spot, whose sins are now forgiven you, for I, the Lord, forgive sins, and am merciful unto those who confess their sins with humble hearts;

Doctrine and Covenants 5:28 - And now, except he humble himself and acknowledge unto me the things that he has done which are wrong, and covenant with me that he will keep my commandments, and exercise faith in me, behold, I say unto him, he shall have no such views, for I will grant unto him no views of the things of which I have spoken.

Doctrine and Covenants 19:20 - Wherefore, I command you again to repent, lest I humble you with my almighty power; and that you confess your sins, lest you suffer these punishments of which I have spoken, of which in the smallest, yea, even in the least degree you have tasted at the time I withdrew my Spirit.

Doctrine and Covenants 97:1 - Verily I say unto you my friends, I speak unto you with my voice, even the voice of my Spirit, that I may show unto you my will concerning your brethren in the land of Zion, many of whom are truly humble and are seeking diligently to learn wisdom and to find truth.

Doctrine and Covenants 20:37 - And again, by way of commandment to the church concerning the manner of baptism—All those who humble themselves before God, and desire to be baptized, and come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits, and witness before the church that they have truly repented of all their sins, and are willing to take upon them the name of Jesus Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins, shall be received by baptism into his church.

Reference materials:

- Encyclopedia of Joseph Smith's Teachings by Donald Q. Cannon, Larry E. Dahl, Joseph Smith

- Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, by Joseph Fielding Smith

- We Believe by Rulon T. Burton

Website Reference: Scriptures

Page 2 of 2