A question regarding missionary work and college

NoahHocker

Hello. My name is Noah. I just graduated from High School and am attending Temple University in Philadelphia this fall. I am a fairly recent convert to the LDS Church. I know that this is Christ's true church because it is led and organized by the authority of His Priesthood. I, after months of study and struggle, have gained a testimony of Joseph Smith, the Restoration, the Book of Mormon, and the Church, so i plan on magnifying my position in the Church to my fullest potential. Going on a full time mission is definitely a part of this magnification process, thus i am left with some questions regarding the relationship between missionary work and education. I know that it is fairly typical for men to go to one year of college, leave for a 2-year mission, then come back and conclude their studies. I assume that somewhere like BYU would be 100% cooperative with this process, therefore they would be more likely to hold a missionary's scholarship until he/she got back from their mission. However, i am not exactly sure how a non-LDS university would handle this. i don't necessarily want to wait until after college to go on a mission, but i am worried that Temple wouldn't hold me scholarship, which would probably make me want to go to BYU since it would be more accepted there. I am set for Temple in the fall so there is no changing at least this first semester, but i need to start thinking whether or not i need to transfer, considering the situation. I would also have no problem at all going to BYU. In fact, i would in some ways probably enjoy it more because i would be surrounded with such a potent spiritual environment which is vitally important to the strength and growth of ones own testimony. So, essentially it is not a matter of which school i would like better, but which school would cater to my needs, desires, and future plans. Thanks for reading. Feel free to share advice!

Well, if you are considering switching schools there are definite plusses to attending BYU, if you are accepted. First of all if you are a member, you do not have to pay for out-of-state tuition. I have done a bit of research on the tuition there and find that it is much more reasonable than even the state universities in my home state. There is also a perpetual education fund that you should really investigate. You can search it in the Ensign magazines, on LDS.org, gospel library, magazines, Ensign, search.

Whether or not the school you are currently enrolling in will, accept your mission is entirely up to that university, and you would have to ask student affairs, or some department dealing with your scholarship.

Whether or not you should go on a mission now or later is something you must sincerely pray about. Fasting will help also, it should not be a decision made by someone else's advice, but a distinct prompting directily from the Holy Ghost. I would, like to suggest offering to help the ward mission where you currently are living, if you are told not to go on a mission just yet. It can be very helpful to have a member present at some of the discussions, and you can see how the Elders teach different people and respond with promptings from the Holy Spirit. You can mention this to the ward mission leader and ask if the Elders would like you to come with them to visit someone, or have them visit you.

I wish you well, Noah, and I know that wherever the Lord sends you, He will provide a way to accomplish the tasks that He sends you forth to do.

Talk to Temple and make your case for a mission. They can't say yes if you never ask. And be sure to point out that historically, those who have served missions have returned to be better students. Their investment in your scholarship is more likely to pay off if you serve. You might be surprised to learn they are willing to hold it. I certainly hope you aren't disappointed.