Jacob 5:49-51

pam

Reference Search: Jacob 5:49-51

49 And it came to pass that the Lord of the vineyard said unto the servant: Let us go to and hew down the trees of the vineyard and cast them into the fire, that they shall not cumber the ground of my vineyard, for I have done all. What could I have done more for my vineyard?

50 But, behold, the servant said unto the Lord of the vineyard: Spare it a little longer.

51 And the Lord said: Yea, I will spare it a little longer, for it grieveth me that I should lose the trees of my vineyard.

Quote for Discussion

Desires of a righteous servant

The servant pleads with him to spare it a little longer, and the master consents. Not wanting to lose the trees, he extends the time for more labor. This shows that the righteous can influence the Lord. He blesses men according to the desires of their hearts….On one occasion Jesus was going to leave, but he perceived that the people desired him to stay a little longer with them. His bowels were filled with compassion towards them, and he healed their sick, lame, and blind (see 3 Nephi 17:5-8). Righteous servants can influence the Lord through desires and faith, just as the servant does in the allegory.

John L. Fowles. The Book of Mormon—Tenth Annual Symposium [Provo, Utah: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1986], 34