December 19, 2010 - Let us remember the Elderly

pam

“We who are young should never become so blindly absorbed in our own pursuits as to forget that there are still with us those who will live in loneliness unless we let them share our lives as once they let us share theirs. We cannot bring them back the morning hours of youth. But we can help them live in the warm glow of a sunset made more beautiful by our thoughtfulness, by our provision, and by our active and unfeigned love. Life in its fulness is a loving ministry of service from generation to generation. God grant that those who belong to us may never be left in loneliness.”

Thomas S. Monson The Fatherless and the Widows—Beloved of God

This one really hit me hard as I am guilty of this with my own mother.

I was moved by that one as well. Probably because I am now, officially, one of the elderly.

My mother is 76 and has led a very traumatic, lonely life. As you know, I live with her because I'm disabled. It has been extremely difficult as we are more opposite than black and white, but I have always been beyond grateful for her giving me a home. But as far as being a loving daughter . . . not so much.

A few years ago, however, I realized that if anyone was going to ever truly make my mother feel like she mattered, it was going to have to be me. There simply is no one else. So, I changed my attitude towards her, and it changed our relationship profoundly. I know that what I've done has made a difference to her.

I owe this change of heart, entirely, to Strawberry. She lost her mother to cancer in a manner that was sudden and devastating. She helped me see that I did, truly, love my mother and that if I didn't do something about in the now, I would lose that chance forever. I will always be so grateful to Berry for that.

Elph

Edited by Elphaba

The sad part..I have gotten annoyed with my mother over "whining" about being lonely since my dad passed away last year. After reading this, I got to thinking of all the times she was and is still there for me whenever I need help. I need to really change my attitude and thoughts concerning this.