Enos 1:10

pam

Enos 1Â*

10 And while I was thus struggling in the spirit, behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again, saying: I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments. I have given unto them this land, and it is a holy land; and I curse it not save it be for the cause of iniquity; wherefore, I will visit thy brethren according as I have said; and their transgressions will I bring down with sorrow upon their own heads.

Quotes for Discussion

It isn’t the Lord who withholds himself from us. It is we who withhold ourselves from him because of our failure to keep his commandments.

Harold B. Lee, in Conference Report, October 1966, 117

When you received your confirmation, you were commanded to receive the Holy Ghost. He was not obligated to seek you out. The Lord says, “I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments” (Enos 1:10). If our lives are responsive and clean, if we are reaching and cultivating, the Holy Ghost will come, and we may retain him and have the peace his presence thus affords.

Spencer W. Kimball, [Speeches of the Year, “Prayer,” Discourses at BYU, October 11, (1961), 7]

A Holy Land

The prophets of the Book of Mormon frequently referred to the Americas as a promised land. Enos’s record now gives it a higher designation—a holy land. A land which is holy is a land consecrated, dedicated, and set apart, a land blessed by the hand of the Lord for his service and his purposes. This land is the place of Eden, the place of Adam-ondi-Ahman, the place of the New Jerusalem, the birthplace of the Book of Mormon and the Restoration. It has been designated by God as a sanctuary for truth and righteousness. It is from the American continent that in this dispensation the seeds of salvation have been and will be carried to all other lands.

Millet & McConkie, BOM Commentary, Vol 2, p. 98