Moroni 8:18?

curtishouse

Hidden

To add to what I said above, Joseph B. Wirthlin said in conference, ""our intellect can feed our spirit and our spirit can feed our intellect...[but] we must be careful not to set aside our faith in the process, because faith actually enhances our ability to learn." This is in reference to the Parable of the Sower, the seed that falls on the road.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a post about this on a different forum and I was wondering about people's thoughts on this verse. If eternal progression is true, how can God be unchanging? Is this speaking of when God has become God and not a time before this before He progressed to Godhood? I'm really trying to understand this and maybe somebody can shed some light on this. God bless.

For I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity. - Moroni 8:18

Instead of going by what our critics say, why don't you appeal to the very context of Moroni 8:18? The context is talking very specifically about the Atonement and addresses the unnecessary need of infant baptism. It is speaking about how God does not change the plan of salvation. There are many passages in the Bible that talk about God changing. If this argument were valid, then the critics would have to denounce Christ because Christ existed as a pre-incarnate spirit. Yet, if God is unchangeable, then Christ either is not God, or their argument is flawed.

Christ - Old Testament - Nature was spirit

Christ - New Testament - Mortal life with a body of flesh and bone

Christ is God manifested in the Flesh.

Christ rose with a glorified body of flesh and bone.

Did Christ's nature change? Yes. Is Christ God? Yes. Did God change? Yes. Ergo the argument is flawed because the evangelical Christians have to admit that their own doctrine allows for an ever changing God - or, they have to deny Christ, his birth, and his resurrection.

This verse refers to contradiction, not God's being. God won't contradict Himself. Moroni 8 speaks of how baptism of infants is wrong. Then in verse 18 it says God is unchangeable from all eternity to eternity. In other words God won't say baptizing infants is wrong and then turn around and say baptizing infants is ok.

I checked back at the chapter and verse 12 actually provides the context for verse 18.

12 But little children are alive in Christ, even from the foundation of the world; if not so, God is a partial God, and also a changeable God, and a respecter to persons; for how many little children have died without baptism!

So again, its about God not contradicting Himself.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a post about this on a different forum and I was wondering about people's thoughts on this verse. If eternal progression is true, how can God be unchanging? Is this speaking of when God has become God and not a time before this before He progressed to Godhood? I'm really trying to understand this and maybe somebody can shed some light on this. God bless.

For I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity. - Moroni 8:18

as ever for questions like these Christ is the example to whom we should look to-

How was Christ before he came to earth?

Did he or did he not teach, preach, and do the things his father did?

If he did exactly as his father did and commanded both before and after... then I imagine that he qualifies as unchanging.... from our limited perspective of time and space.