In light of my recent decision, should I serve at the Temple for a day?

The_Phoenix

When is it? I hope you have a good experience.

As for me, I went to the dedication of our local temple several years ago. Even though Gordon B. Hinckley was there, it was rather disappointing, and I probably will never attend another one. I think it was the so-called "Hallelujah shout" that did it. It's supposed to be a moment when people express their sheer joy at having a new temple, and at having the Lord's presence in their midst, but in reality it went over like a lead balloon. Absolutely no enthusiasm or joy. They were trying so hard to be "reverent" that they completely missed the point, and it actually ended up being less reverent as a result, IMHO. There is a time and a place for everything, including a hearty shout of joy! I could picture God shaking his head in bemusement, not knowing whether to laugh or to cry!

My ward sing hymns with the same lack of passion. Every song sounds like a funeral march. I wish someone would let them know it's OK to sing with joy, enthusiasm, and rejoicing. And it's OK to play the hymn at the proper tempo!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You an who else? That is the smallest Temple I have ever seen, I I have been in many. My son when through there because Atlanta was closed. :)

Many of the newer temples are the size of the Birmingham temple, including the one I currently attend in Louisville Kentucky. And a temple of that size requires 350 workers to run, so don't think it is such a small thing.

Many of the newer temples are the size of the Birmingham temple, including the one I currently attend in Louisville Kentucky. And a temple of that size requires 350 workers to run, so don't think it is such a small thing.

I was not picking at you or trying to make fun. When we arrived some kid before my son had a problem with not having all his paperwork, so we waited in the waiting room which was standing room only. There were only six of us in the waiting area. It was not what I expected. Just trying to make a little joke, I guess is to small to get.

To OP (I skipped a few pages of replies)

Be kind to them as people and ignore their disagreements with you.

To the degree they are open to considering your point of view, share it with them. To the degree their points have some truth, agree with the true part.

You will never shove others into agreeing with you, and if they do... it won't last.

RW

Ignoring someone who is trying to incite you is a defensive tactic.

If you are not threatened, then there is no need for defense.

I can, and have, walked among protesters, asked questions, answered their questions, etc., and why would it ruffle my feathers? If someone wants to be rude to me, I end the conversation. If they want to talk, I'll listen.

Please remember that many people who protest do believe what they are saying. If the lines of communication are closed, what are the chance of their having a positive experiences to replace their negative feelings?

RW

My ward sing hymns with the same lack of passion. Every song sounds like a funeral march. I wish someone would let them know it's OK to sing with joy, enthusiasm, and rejoicing. And it's OK to play the hymn at the proper tempo!

You might like our ward choir (if I may say so myself, seeing as how I'm a member of it! :lol:). Our choir director is a trained musician, and so is her husband. She really challenges us, and knows what she is doing. For Easter we did three choir numbers, one of which was rather difficult. I was worried it wouldn't go well, but somehow we managed to pull it off! :D

But yeah, sometimes the person leading the music for the regular sacrament meeting hymns goes at a snail's pace, and it's terribly frustrating. And things can get real interesting when the organist isn't paying attention to the chorister! About a month ago, the chorister stopped after the fourth verse of the hymn, closed her hymnbook, and made as though to sit down. The congregation stopped singing, too. But the organist wasn't paying attention and continued playing, thinking we were doing the rest of the verses! Embarrassed, the chorister opened the book back up and resumed leading the music. It was both cringeworthy and hilarious! :lol: