Potty Training

MBASS

I'm with Shantress totally on this. You encourage, but you try not to make it a battle. It will happen eventually.

My grandmother told me that a child should be potty trained by the time it is 6 months old. Baloney!!! I only had one out of 7 that could walk at 6 months. . . . . . .who the heck is getting trained here? The deal was that my grandmother learned to pay attention to the "time" of day that her child had a bowel movement, and she took them at the right time. Sorry, but I had too many other things to do than to take a six month old and hold them over the toilet.

I used stickers, toys, candy, you name it, and I tried it. What worked best for me was when I relaxed and quit worrying so much about "when" the child was going to be potty trained.

I absolutely refuse to even attempt to potty train in the winter time. (too many clothes to wash when they wet them) For me, letting them wear panties around once they started showing an interest worked pretty well. Once they have started having long spans of time dry, they find that a wet pair of pants is not pleasant. (disposable diapers keep them too dry to notice; so panties really give them a "wet" attitude, especially when it runs down their legs.)

I found rather quickly that if I was too pushy about the whole thing, the child began to balk about it, and it became a vicious struggle between the two of us. So; for me, trying to be encouraging and yet non challant helped.

One of my aunts told someone once that I never potty trained my kids . . . . . . I just let them potty train themselves. Made life a whole lot easier on the whole family, and they are all grown and not wearing diapers; so I guess it worked. B)

Peace,

TXRed

P.S. Trust yourself. Heavenly Father sent the children to you to be taken care of. . . . . .you will know when the time is right if you will just remember that Heavenly Father trusted you. You love this child and know it better than anyone else does. I believe that the reason so many of us stress over "potty training" so much is that we "worry" what others will think. Try not to. Just be concerned with you and your child's needs.