auto insurance

HEthePrimate

Hi,

I'll be without a car for a while, but would still like to be able to drive when necessary (work vehicles, or borrowed or rented cars). My question is, can a person get basic auto insurance (liability, at least) for lower prices if one does not actually own a car, or is it going to cost just as much as when you do have a car? Can you recommend a company/policy?

Thanks!

HEP

Hi,

I'll be without a car for a while, but would still like to be able to drive when necessary (work vehicles, or borrowed or rented cars). My question is, can a person get basic auto insurance (liability, at least) for lower prices if one does not actually own a car, or is it going to cost just as much as when you do have a car? Can you recommend a company/policy?

Thanks!

HEP

Need a car to get insurance. You can get insurance on your drivers license, I think. My ex did this over 20 years ago. Check with your agent where you have home owners insurance.

Almost Off Topic: For those who rent, it is wise to get renters insurance. Your landlord carries insurance on the building you are occupying, but there is no way s/he is going to carry insurance for your personal property. You have to get the insurance and pay for it. Take pics of EVERYTHING you own, download to a CD and go talk to insurance agents.

Those of you who do have home owners/renters insurance, when was the last time your agent did a walk through? When was the last time you updated your pic of your belongings? Scan receipts of items purchased too.

Thanks HEP for letting me derail your post a bit - Iggy.

Check with your credit cards, many companies automatically give some basic insurance when renting using their card.

The car rental places offer insurance - Enterprise offered it for $250.00 for the 14 days we rented the car for. They were the beneficiaries - we would receive NO compensation if our belongings were stolen or destroyed. The up side was, we would not have to pay to replace the vehicle or pay compensation for lost income to Enterprise!

Guest mysticmorini

I believe you can get car insurance with out a Car not 100% sure, prolly best to call around. My two favorite companies are StateFarm and Progresive.

As a side note I know that generally most auto policies cover you if you let someone else drive your car and some will also cover you if you are driving someone elses car. (my grandma was the overprotective type so there was a time when she added me to her policy on top of the policy i already had, Jeeze!)