Temple Question

Franken

So pretty soon here I am going to be ordained as an elder and recieve the Melchezidik (Sp?) Priesthood, thing is, I don't know too much about what all I am going to be able to do now. I was wondering once I have taken my Endowments out and everything can I when I go with to the temple to do baptisms now be the one to baptize my friends and family for the dead? Or do they prefer people not to?

Can Anyone Else give me some other information as well as what kinds of things I should be preparing to perform as an elder?

Thanks!

Guest ApostleKnight

Yes, once you're an Elder you may baptize for the dead. I do think you need to receive your endowments first, but I can't recall (how embarassing). I haven't been able to attend the temple or church for 8 months due to a family emergency so I'm getting rusty...grrrr...even though I used to work in the Seattle Temple.

As for duties of an Elder, ask your bishop or stake president.

Oh, and cool avatar..."Mulder. F...B...I" (from the episode "small potatoes" a classic)

Agree with AK that once you have attended the temple and received your own endowment then you can perform baptisms in the temple. The Doctrine & Covenants covers well the responsiblities of an Elder. Again I agree with AK to let your Bishop and Elders Quorum President be your guide to what you can and should do as an Elder.

Blessing the sick

Home Teaching as Senior Companion

All the things you could do as a Priest, Teacher or Deacon

Many of the things done in the temple once endowed.

Ben Raines

You dont have to be endowed to do baptisms, you can get a limited temple reccomend from your bishop. Thats why youth do baptisms. They arent endowed.

I think Franken was referring to him being the baptizer and not the baptizee. :) :huh:

M.

Im not sure why you would need to be endowed to baptize for the dead, when you have the authority to do so for the living. Anyone?

Could it be because it is in the Temple? Perhaps all that they would then need is a conditional (?) recommend. I know that is not the right word - what is the name of the Recommend that the youth recieve when they do baptisms for the dead??? Special, one time only recommend??