How do I know?

Casetiel

Hello, everyone. My name is Casey, and I need your advice, because I don't know who else to turn to. My problem starts with meeting my good (female) friend at high school graduation. We got to talking and started hanging out, until after a while i found out that she was LDS. So I went to church with her after some prodding, and for about two months now I've been investigating the church on my own. My issue is that I had a bit of a crush on her, but I was OK, I was dealing with it just fine. The problem stated when one night recently after going running together, we admitted to each other that romantic feelings are present for both parties. BUT, we cannot do anything until I'm a member and baptized, say her parents. So now here I am a month later, and we still hang out, and not being able to act on mutual feelings is killing me. So my question is: I want to join the church, but how will I know when I'm truly ready to join, and not have other motives(her) subconciously moving me along too quickly? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Look inward. Do you, just you, know that it's true? If you were to exclude everything else in your life other than you, would the church still be true? If you're not sure, I'd pray in a quiet, private place, and ask God to give you an answer. I'm sure he will, because God doesn't want us to be confused or in the dark: He loves you and wants you to know what you should do. Once you get that answer, you can be 100% confident that your choice is your own, and you've came to your conclusion independently.

Although, don't take this answer as an excuse not to involve your girlfriend in this decision! She's been through the same process, finding out for herself (and herself alone) if the church is true. I'm sure she would be more than willing to help you go through the same process.

I would say get baptized. The reason why I say that is because there are somethings that you are doing on your on your own in investigating the church. Your in this forum asking for advice. These are all signs showing some of us that you want to do this the right way besides doing this because her parents wont let you progress with her untill your baptized. This is part of life. My girlfriend influenced me to go on a mission. My wife influenced me to be stronger in the church. I stopped cussing when my daughter told me that I needed to stop. I believe women are here to help refine us men.