Twelfth Article Of Faith

Guest MrsS

<div align="center">THE ARTICLES OF FAITH

OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS

History of the Church, Vol. 4, pp. 535—541

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

In this there is no half measures. We are to obey, honor and sustain the law of the land where we live, and where we visit. There are no IF's, AND's, BUT's, or EXCEPTIONS.

Guest ApostleKnight

I'm probably going to be on my own on this one. I will obey the laws of the land as long as they do not require me to violate my covenants with God. It's a personal judgement call so it's not a sweeping rule I'd impose on others. For example, if I lived in Nazi Germany during WWII and had been in the army before the war and found myself with my hand on a gas chamber switch with a paper in my hand ordering me to extirminate innocent Jews...I'd probably end up in the chamber with them since I wouldn't do it, even though the "laws of the land" would have "required" my obedience.

Then again, if I had lived when polygamy was practiced by the LDS Church and Congress banned the practice, I would've stopped because it wouldn't have required me to get a temple divorce and throw my covenants to the side.

So my views are wonderfully contradictory, mercurial and subject to change without notice. :)

I think the point of "obeying the laws of the land" is to leave the enemies of the Church without excuse to persecute us further as a "rebellious cult" for disobeying even prejudicial laws. My thoughts only...and no, I won't share. Mwahahahahaha, just kidding. ;)