More Tech Help Needed: Internet Sharing

slamjet

I've been assigned to wire up one of our ward buildings with the capability to share internet access with a minimum of 25 computers, all wireless, and not for Family History. More like "internet school." So my questions are thus:

- I'm assuming DSL will not work (it's slow in this area, maxes out at 3Mbps). T1 is expensive. Cable internet? I have it here at home and I like it. Anyone have any experience with it in a more data intensive environment?

- I know wireless access points can usually handle 1-5 concurrent connections without any issues. I'm needing one that will handle 20 - 40 concurrent connections. Any ideas as to which equipment would handle that?

- Should I look at getting two connections and using a dual-wan router to load balance?

Any advice would be useful.

Edited by slamjet

I've been assigned to wire up one of our ward buildings with the capability to share internet access with a minimum of 25 computers, all wireless, and not for Family History. More like "internet school." So my questions are thus:

- I'm assuming DSL will not work (it's slow in this area, maxes out at 3Mbps). T1 is expensive. Cable internet? I have it here at home and I like it. Anyone have any experience with it in a more data intensive environment?

It entirely depends on your area. I don't like DSL technology personally, I find the copper lines in this area are old and flaky, and this affects the connection. I've always had better success with cable, the lines of which have been laid far more recently. You might also want to consider a small business package with your ISP, otherwise you might get capped after a certain download limit - ISPs get twitchy about this many computers sharing a domestic internet connection simultaneously.

As for speed, in a previous place of work I've had 60+ computers running off a 10Mbp/s business internet package with no speed issues. But this was mostly webpage browsing, no large downloads. If your users are going to be downloading 1GB iso files all at the same time, then this is something different.

- I know wireless access points can usually handle 1-5 concurrent connections without any issues. I'm needing one that will handle 20 - 40 concurrent connections. Any ideas as to which equipment would handle that?

Get two corporate grade access points, the cisco aironet range is pretty good. If the computers are evenly spaced out in the room, place them at either end of the room, reducing power to the antennas if you need to (depending on the size of the room). Configure both with the same SSIDs and encryption info (but each on a different non-overlapping channel), and if set up correctly, roughly half of the computers should connect to each access point, balancing the load. This is really the best you can do without getting a fully managed wireless network. Again, this does depend on what they'll actually be doing on the computers. If it's simple web browsing, they'll be fine.

- Should I look at getting two connections and using a dual-wan router to load balance?

No need, unless your chosen ISP can't provide business packages, and their domestic packages just aren't suitable on their own. But going through this method seems overly complex for the needs.

Edited by Mahone

Excellent. Thank you. This clears up a lot of suspicions on how to go about this. I found an AP by Ubiquity that will work well in my configuration. Now to do the site survey to see where to cable this in. This building is close to impossible to cable.

I am an expert in this area, and I would be glad to share my method for getting my computer to work. First, my boyfriend and some guy from some internet company put in this magical box with lots of blinky lights on it that psychically talks to my laptop somehow. If for some reason my laptop stops talking to the magic box then I yell, "Mister! my computer is broken!" and my boyfriend comes and takes my laptop away for a few minutes and then brings it back and it works again.

Hope that helps! :wizard:

I am an expert in this area, and I would be glad to share my method for getting my computer to work. First, my boyfriend and some guy from some internet company put in this magical box with lots of blinky lights on it that psychically talks to my laptop somehow. If for some reason my laptop stops talking to the magic box then I yell, "Mister! my computer is broken!" and my boyfriend comes and takes my laptop away for a few minutes and then brings it back and it works again.

Hope that helps! :wizard:

Well Dog-Gone!

Posted Image

I was getting it wrong the whole time! :D

I have a friend who got this for his RV. He can be parked sometimes over a mile away from the access point, put the NanoStation on a pole, and get full bars of WiFi.

But your post gave me an idea to try out using something like that, mount it just outside the closet, and see how much of the building it can cover. Might make things simpler.