Camaxtli, Stop Playing With Your Food!

Fiannan

Interesting article:

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1243302006

There's a little scripture in Moroni, one verse long, that suggests God withdrew all support of the Nephites because the men raped Lamanite women and then ate them. Academics have long denounced the idea of advanced Indian tribes practicing ritual cannibalism (especially as a humiliation against prisoners of war) but here is forensic proof that such eating of people did indeed exist in Meso-America. It's only been in recent years that forensic techniques have been emplyed to examine the people eating people controversy. In recent years scientists have dug into ancient latrines and found huge amounts of human hemoglobin present -- proving that human meat was ingested after major sacrifices on the pyramids.

Quite an interesting insight on ancient cultures.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, nobody finds this article dealing with how cannibalism was used by the Aztec and the descriptions of what the Nephites and Lamanites were doing with each other quite fascinating? The type of cannibalism the preists were using and the revenge the Aztec army was using on their victims may be subtle support for the events as described by Mormon to his son Moroni in chapter 9 of Moroni.

Wow, nobody finds this article dealing with how cannibalism was used by the Aztec and the descriptions of what the Nephites and Lamanites were doing with each other quite fascinating? The type of cannibalism the preists were using and the revenge the Aztec army was using on their victims may be subtle support for the events as described by Mormon to his son Moroni in chapter 9 of Moroni.

Line upon line, precept upon precept....it will be revealed.....!

• 2 months later...

While I have not read anything about cannibalism being featured in Mel Gibson's new movie I have head it is extremely violent in regards to the scenes of human sacrifice.

I guess this probes the question of how many LDS people plan on seeing his movie due to the interest LDS generally have for Meso-American culture.

I don't know whether this is fiction or real, but I recall hearing that some Spanish were forced to drink liquid gold until it choked them, because of their greed in wanting the gold in that part of the Americas..can anybody confirm whether or not this is true or whether I've just picked it up from a fictional movie?

Seems that would kill someone quick if you made them drink any liquified metal. I do know that when the Romans destroyed Jerusalem around 71AD Arabs would slice Jews escaping open as many would melt gold into small balls and swallow them so nobody would take it from them when they escaped the boundaries of the city. At least that is what I have read.

Fiannan, thanks for that info regarding the Jews and their gold.

I've tried finding online sources for the story I mentioned, I couldn't find any...however I think it may have been something I once saw on a programme on either Discovery or History Channel...perhaps it is an old Indian legend?

The nearest I could find to it was the story of Hirrihigua and his daughter who persuaded him to allow Juan Ortiz to be kept alive after he was captured and tortured. It is believed that John Smith adapted the Juan Ortiz story and that it is the real source of the Pocahontas (sp?) story...

I wish I could see this movie now, but I will have to wait until I am back in the USA -- since it is subtitled I have to wait as most European countries use non-English subtitles for movies.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/a...cal_medium.html

Gibson's guide into the history of these legendary cities was Richard Hansen, a professor of anthropology at Idaho State University.

"One of the great things about 'Apocalypto,'" Hansen said, is that "it brings [the ancient world] to life here. It's an opportunity to see a city like this being brought to our conception of what it would look like originally."

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=e...ment&id=4821953

Idaho state? Does anyone know if Professor Hansen is LDS?