The Older Ladies KNOW

Blocky

I've been having a really hard time. My last baby was born 18 months ago and I've been depressed ever since. I was anemic, and have lupus and once I started taking stuff for both of those, I started feeling better.

These last two months though I've been feeling really fatigued and down. I can't tell if it's the Lupus, if I'm clinically depressed (well I am, but it's a matter of why, I suppose), if I'm just lazy and unmotivated, but it feels like there is something WRONG with me.

This whole last week I've been sleeping about 14 hours a day. I haven't been doing very well. When I got to church today (first time I've been able to go to classes in 2 months due to a car situation) it was like the older ladies just KNEW something was going on.

I got a lot of "How are you REALLY?" and offers to go for walks, suggestions for having my thyroid tested, etc. I never told any of them what was going on, they just knew I needed an encouraging word. I have lovely friends who are there for me but today I was very thankful for the older ladies in the ward who just knew I was exhausted.

If any of you have ideas about what I should do to help me feel better and be better able to help my self and family, please let me know. I know exercise and being in fresh air would be good for me, but when I'm so totally FATIGUED and achey, getting up out of bed seems like the hardest thing in the world.

I've been having a really hard time. My last baby was born 18 months ago and I've been depressed ever since. I was anemic, and have lupus and once I started taking stuff for both of those, I started feeling better.

These last two months though I've been feeling really fatigued and down. I can't tell if it's the Lupus, if I'm clinically depressed (well I am, but it's a matter of why, I suppose), if I'm just lazy and unmotivated, but it feels like there is something WRONG with me.

This whole last week I've been sleeping about 14 hours a day. I haven't been doing very well. When I got to church today (first time I've been able to go to classes in 2 months due to a car situation) it was like the older ladies just KNEW something was going on.

I got a lot of "How are you REALLY?" and offers to go for walks, suggestions for having my thyroid tested, etc. I never told any of them what was going on, they just knew I needed an encouraging word. I have lovely friends who are there for me but today I was very thankful for the older ladies in the ward who just knew I was exhausted.

If any of you have ideas about what I should do to help me feel better and be better able to help my self and family, please let me know. I know exercise and being in fresh air would be good for me, but when I'm so totally FATIGUED and achey, getting up out of bed seems like the hardest thing in the world.

It sounds like a few others have touched on the suggestions I would have offered, ie, getting some fresh air, exercise, etc.

One thing I have found is that inactivity only breeds further inactivity. Even if you feel quite tired, perhaps you could start by just taking a short walk first thing in the morning.

You might also consider explaining your symptoms to a doctor, if you have not already. I am sure they could offer more nuanced, patient specific analysis than I could ever hope to.

I certainly hope you can get over this spell.

Best,

Klein

It might be nothing more than vit D deficiency. Its easy to test out. Go outside at least 10 minutes a couple of times a day. (minus the heavy coats!) Have you noticed that bulb flowers are poking their tips of leaves out already? :) Spring really is coming soon!

Your babies would love to get outside as well. They might need a bit of that vit D too. :)

Even so you need to mention this to your doctor. I am sure he will have a few ideas to help. :)

You know why those older ladies, like me, know you are feeling down? It is because we have all been there at one time or other.

One of my first thoughts was whether or not any of the medications you're taking have known listed side effects of fatigue. A little online research or a visit to your pharmacist should be enough to rule that one out.

You mention Lupus, Anemia, Depression and now moderate to extreme fatigue. This struck a note with something I've learned recently and I offer it as a possible avenue to pursue or at least rule out in your search for healing and relief.

How does lupus mimic vitamin B12 deficiency?

Many symptoms of lupus mimic those of vitamin B12 deficiency, making it difficult to determine low B12 levels without taking a vitamin B12 blood test.

Cognitive functioning and mood disorders. Anxiety, depression, headaches, and short-term memory loss are symptoms common to both lupus patients and vitamin B12 deficiency sufferers.

Chronic fatigue. Chronic fatigue shares a comorbid relationship with lupus and B12 deficiency.

Nerve damage. Vitamin B12 deficiency causes neurological damage such as aching joints and arthritis-like muscular pain. Lupus causes swollen joints, arthritis, and inflamed joints.

Shortness of breath is a symptom of low B12 and lupus.

Hair loss. B12 deficiency may cause premature hair loss and greying. Hair loss is also a symptom common to lupus patients.

Mouth ulcers are typical for vitamin B12 patients and lupus sufferers.

Skin rashes are a side effect of chronic B12 deficiency. Likewise, lupus patients suffer skin rashes across the cheeks and nose (malar rash).

Anemia. One of the most highly correlated symptoms shared by vitamin B12 deficiency patients and lupus patients alike is the susceptibility to anemia. Left untreated, B12 deficiency can lead to pernicious anemia (megaloblastic anemia). More than half of all lupus patients suffer from blood disorders, particularly anemia.

Heart disease and cancer. Lupus and pernicious anemia patients alike are at high risk for contracting heart disease and cancer.

Bone loss (osteoporosis) is a risk factor for lupus patients and individuals with vitamin B12 deficiency.

(Reference)

It could be that you have a Vitamin B deficiency misdiagnosed as Lupus. If could be that you have Lupus as well as an undiagnosed Vitamin B deficiency. It could be that you have Lupus and no Vitamin B deficiency.

Lupus or a Vitamin B deficiency as well as a combination of both could explain your depression and current fatigue. Wouldn't it be worth ruling Vitamin B out as a contributing factor? Especially considering how easy it is to treat a Vitamin B deficiency?

If this is an avenue you wish to consider, I recommend the book "Could It Be B12? -An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses" Sally M. Pacholok, R.N. Jeffrey J. Stuart, D.O.

It could be that you have a Vitamin B deficiency misdiagnosed as Lupus.

I would hope not- A diagnosis of Lupus shouldn't be made lightly as it carries a stigma with it in the eyes of insurance carriers. Such a diagnosis often results in cancellation of life insurance policies upon renewal, etc. If there's one thing that has been drilled into our heads is that there is no single test that you can use to diagnosis Lupus...

Thanks for the ideas guys! I do like the random 'it could be this' ideas because it gives me something to learn about. As for the B-12 deficiency, my iron supplements also contain B-12 and I have something that wouldn't be explained by a vitamin deficiency, such as raised ana panels and fevers when I'm sick.

My husband was very sweet to me today after I left him a note about how down I was. Tomorrow I'm going to go for a walk in the morning, if for no other reason than to feel better for him. I know in a perfect world it would be me doing it for myself, but I'll take any motivation I can get.