Going to the Temple--First Time!!!

clarissa

So, I'm 21 years old, from Idaho, and have been recently accepted to a Caribbean medical school. I will be gone for a reasonable amount of time and will not have access to a Temple while I'm in medical school, so the Bishop is going to let me receive my endowments before I leave to the Caribbean.

So my question is this: How can I best prepare to make my first time to the Temple a memorable one? :) I am so very excited--even excited to wear garments--and I want this day to be as wonderful as it can be. Suggestions for preparation?

I would also love to hear from anyone how the Temple experience was for them the first time!

Is Caribbean medicine different than our medicine? :P

Congratulations on getting your endowments! Take a temple prep class. Read the scriptures. Remember what you've learned in Church until now. My first time I was not really surprised. The covenants are nothing new--standard LDS fare, pretty much. The temple clothing is a bit funky, and some of the signs and tokens, too. But I had already seen temple clothing when I went to the temple twice as a kid for when my adopted sister and brother were sealed to us, and of course at funerals. The people preparing me to go to the temple sounded a bit worried that I'd freak out, so perhaps I was "overprepared" and expecting something much weirder than it actually was. :lol:

Anyway, yes, it can seem weird to first-timers. That's okay. If you have questions, or something bothers you, feel free to talk about it with someone, rather than suffering in silence. And if you keep attending to do work for the dead, you'll quickly grow accustomed to it.

Peace,

HEP

I just went for the first time last month. Maybe some here won't like it, but I read about Free Mason signs and symbols. A lot of it made sense to me when taken with that background. I also had a temple prep class at church over a number of weeks (though I know many who either didn't have a class or had one for about 2 hours and they all did fine).

I come from a very ritualistic background, so I was more curious than anything - how would this compare to what I'd read or what I experienced in my previous religion. What were people hiding from me that I should look for (and then, why hide it?)? What were my feelings? I think you if you have time for even a brief temple prep class or can get one of the temple prep books from the LDS store, you will be fine. Just go with an open mind and heart. People will help you, so you don't need to worry about making a mistake. It's easy to say, and I was very nervous, but looking at it now, there was nothing to be nervous or frightened about.

So my question is this: How can I best prepare to make my first time to the Temple a memorable one? :)

Strangely, it will be memorable and you probably won't remember many of the details.

First piece of advice, don't let the temple workers rush you. Most temple workers are good about this, but sometimes they get into a groove and need a gentle reminder that this is your first time.

Second piece of advice, ask for help if you need it. The temple is kind of like Hogwarts: help is always available to those who ask for it.

Third piece of advice, try not to focus much on the ritual and the ceremony. Just sit and take note of how you feel. This is the part you want to remember. Everything else can be forgotten until you're able to return.

Last piece of advice, if you can go a few times before you leave, do it. Get familiar with it while you can. And don't just do endowments. I highly recommend you go back just to do an hour or so of initiatory work (the washing and anointing that comes before the endowment).

I am so very excited--even excited to wear garments--and I want this day to be as wonderful as it can be. Suggestions for preparation?

Live righteously, read your scriptures, be happy and smile. That last one is particularly important.

I would also love to hear from anyone how the Temple experience was for them the first time!

Honestly, I thought it was pretty weird. I still think it's kind of weird. But some of the most intimate experiences I've had with the Lord have been on the heels of time spent in the temple.