LDS Food Storage and the Paradigm Shift

lds2

There is still much confusion on what we should be storing in our homes for "adversity." In my ward we have heard 3 months only and 2 years worth of foods over the pulpit. Last month our Stake Food Storage Leader gave us the handout for the 2002 list of foods to store for a "year supply" believing it was the current recommendations from the Church.

Unfortunately, all of these brothers and sisters are confused. The new recommendations are found in the pamphlet, "All is Safely Gathered In" which contains a "Message from the First Presidency" to the whole Church (which was sent out to ALL members by the First Presidency through their Bishops and was followed up six months later again as an insert in the Ensign.)

This is the first paragraph of this message...

“Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to ‘prepare every needful thing’ so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others."

Many believe this does not supersede the previous list of foods given. But on Providentliving.org, in their frequently asked questions section is says...

Does the information outlined in the pamphlet supersede all previous counsel?

Yes.

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/04008_eng.pdf?lang=eng (Go to Page 2)

To me it seems that we are asked to live a "higher law" as there is no longer a list but we have been given the responsibility and choices of what and how much to store. We must seek the Spirit to know (beyond three months of foods we normally eat) how much food to store so that "should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others."

Does this make it harder to store what we need for adversity? That was not the intention of the new changes...

"Why was the pamphlet produced?

To teach the simple principles of home storage and encourage participation. It offers hope by showing that it is possible for most Church members to prepare for adversity, starting modestly by storing a few items of food, filling a few leak-proof containers with water, and saving a few coins each week. The pamphlet helps eliminate the perceived complexity of home storage."

Providentliving.org Frequently Asked Questions...

https://www.lds.org/family/family-well-being/home-storage/frequently-asked-questions?lang=eng#3

Best wishes in the gathering of your abundance safely in for your family, your neighbors and to help the bishop feed the poor and the needy through the "perilous times" we are told that we are living in.

Char

Many believe this does not supersede the previous list of foods given. But on Providentliving.org, in their frequently asked questions section is says...

Does the information outlined in the pamphlet supersede all previous counsel?

Yes.

Yeah, I may be a nitpicker, but although providentliving.com is a great resource, I don't believe any arguments have been totally settled about what the brethren's counsel actually is. For example, the FAQ itself gives counsel that is not contained in the pamphlet it references. I long ago learned to never underestimate peoples' ability to read the same thing and come to different conclusions.

Does this make it harder to store what we need for adversity?

I don't think so. The pamphlet does indeed take a subject that causes anxiety in some people and energetic zeal in others, and sort of brings it 'down to earth' in some pretty common-sense ways, IMO.

The family home storage pamphlet, along with the Family Finances pamphlet, are great resources full of practical, common-sense advice that seems to be all too rare these days.

Steve Martin and SNL were certainly ahead of their times with this skit.

Yeah, I may be a nitpicker, but although providentliving.com is a great resource, I don't believe any arguments have been totally settled about what the brethren's counsel actually is. For example, the FAQ itself gives counsel that is not contained in the pamphlet it references.

I'm thinking we might agree with what you are saying about Frequently Asked Questions, but when I reread it I don't see any information where the counsel doesn't coincide or complement the counsel from the pamphlet. So which counsel are you talking about specifically?

Providentliving.com isn't a horrible resource, their calculator just doesn't reflect the new guidelines given by the First Presidency and is often confused by the LDS Church's site. But I think you meant providentliving.org? It is so confusing to have the .com look like it could be an LDS Church site...at least at first glance.

When it comes to providentliving.org it is both a great resource and the closest we can come to further counsel from the brethren. While I am sure it is done by a committee and not the First Presidency, so not all they recommend should be considered scripture, they are a lot closer to the brethren than say the sister you talk to when you call the cannery. So I take what they say with a lot fewer grains of salt than other sources. I'm pretty sure that they would have asked the brethren to make sure they are right before stating that the pamphlet supersedes prior instruction given to the Church as that is a pretty definitive and important statement for those trying to figure out what is the new counsel.

I think for the past number of years the temporal stewardship has been more under the direction of the First Presidency and Presiding Bishopric. This is probably just my opinion, but I think the reason we hear so little about temporal preparedness at general conference from the apostles and other general authorities (besides the Presiding Bishopric) is that this is not really part of their main stewardship right now. Not saying it can't be, just that it doesn't seem to be lately. As the prior Presiding Bishopric was just released I am interested in seeing if the new takes us in any new directions in preparing the Church for hard times and/or adversity.

JMHO FWIW.

Edited by lds2