Glory Days (for time and all eternity)

Bensalem

"Christ worked out his own salvation. This is something of which uninspired men have no comprehension. Truly, he was the Lord Omnipotent before the world was; truly, he was like unto the Father in the premortal life; truly, he was the Son of God here on earth—and yet, with it all, as with all the spirit children of the same Father, he too was subject to all of the terms and conditions of the Father's plan.

He also was born on earth to undergo a mortal probation, to die, to rise again in immortal glory, to be judged according to his works, and to receive his place of infinite glory in the eternal kingdom of his Everlasting Father. How well Paul said:

Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

And being made perfect, he became the author [that is, the cause] of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." [Hebrews 5: 8–9] Elder Bruce R McConkie

Bruce R. McConkie also detailed three types of salvation:

1) Unconditional or general salvation.

2) Conditional or individual salvation.

3) Salvation synonymous with exaltation or eternal life.

The first comes by grace alone and by attaining the resurrection, which does not include the requirement of obedience. This leads to either the Telestial or Terrestrial Kingdoms.

The second requires obedience to the gospel, acceptance of the ordinances (baptism, etc) and leads to the Celestial Kingdom.

The third leads to godhood through the covenants of the priesthood. This is Exaltation to the highest glory, which can only be attained through celestial marriage.

Quiet simply, I have never heard exaltation equated to salvation or referred to as salvation. Neither have I heard of the resurrection referred to as salvation. To me salvation is what we need to be redeemed of our sins; the resurrection is what comes after salvation and exaltation is a separate and higher glory.

It remains uncontested that Christ needed salvation from sin as we do. The prophet and I agree.

I have no problem with the concept of Christ needing to be obedient. To me His obedience lead to his exaltation, which I had separated out of salvation (redemption).

So know that I understand McConkie's definition, usage and application of the word salvation, I have no conflict with his quote.

Edited by Bensalem

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with marriage or the promise of exalted marriage. I just do not except the unsubstantiated idea that Jesus married while on earth.

I think it presents a very narrow and limiting perspective in the larger light of the symbolism of the Church as His Bride.

You say, "I dont know if He had children. I dont care." This ignores the fact that we become His children through baptism in His Church.

I am trying very hard to move us beyond the concept of marriage as we understand it to be between a man and a woman. The lesson of the bible is not so terrestrial, it is Celestial and glorious and is embodied in the concepts of God and Church, not just man and woman.

You sound oddly jealous, as if Him being married detracts from His love for the church and for you. We are not Catholic monks and nuns with that celibacy and 'marriage to God' idea.

WHY should we move 'past' a marriage between man and woman? That is the foundation of eternal life and progression. It is GLORIOUS, not something distracting and vain. There is no other part of eternal life that is unconnected to eternal marriage.

You sound oddly jealous, as if Him being married detracts from His love for the church and for you. We are not Catholic monks and nuns with that celibacy and 'marriage to God' idea.

WHY should we move 'past' a marriage between man and woman? That is the foundation of eternal life and progression. It is GLORIOUS, not something distracting and vain. There is no other part of eternal life that is unconnected to eternal marriage.

Jealous? How strange a comment! The glory of God and Church which I have attributed to Christ and is supported in scripture is my inheritance as well, along with every priest in the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood (and their wives). How can I be jealousy of something that has been promised to me?

I am certainly not promoting catholic ideas of monks and nuns. The restoration brought by Christ through Joseph Smith moves us toward the glory of God and Church through the covenants of eternal marriage resulting in exalted pairs and the covenant on consecration to Christ. Consecration is the 'marriage' of the individual to God; the Church embodies the individuals into a holy community consecrated to God.

Of course, marriage between a man and woman is foundational to eternal life and progression. I didn't suggest we move beyond marriage, I suggested we move beyond the narrow and terrestrial view of marriage as solely between a man and a woman...and toward a Celestial understanding of the marriage embodied in the concepts of God and Church.

For example, terrestrial families are born as a result of the union of a man and a woman; whereas, celestial communities are born out of the union of God and Church.

Edited by Bensalem

Why would Christ drink from the corrupt well of Israel when the new and restored Israel was just around the cornerstone of his first church. He had to build a church first, then had to restore it to full functionality before building up the nation of Israel, and finally will glorify his work as a paradisaical earth takes shape under his 1000 year reign. Let him pick a wife then from an Israel and a people glorified as he is.

To me the word "restore" means just that, that it is brought back as it was. Are you trying to say that Christ did not bring the gospel at its fullest during his mortal life?

To me the word "restore" means just that, that it is brought back as it was. Are you trying to say that Christ did not bring the gospel at its fullest during his mortal life?

I would have to agree with that since there is no record of Christ or His apostles establishing the covenant of eternal marriage in Israel. The three Kingdoms of Glory are only mentioned twice. There was no elaboration, much less implementation, of the saving ordinances of exaltation.

In fact, they never established the nation of Israel with all twelve tribes. Collectively, there was only two of the tribes represented; the House of Judah and the priestly clan of the Levites. When Christ ascended into heaven for the last time, the apostles asked him if it was time soon to restore the kingdom to Israel. He said, it was for the Father to decide. That is why it is significant that the Father introduced Christ to Joseph Smith at the start of the restoration.

Just because the LDS Church represents the restoration of Christ's first church doesn't mean that they need to be exactly alike. After all, the LDS call their gospel "the new and everlasting gospel". The progression of the Word requires that living scripture grow; so we have the OT, the NT, and the New and Everlasting Testament in the BOM and the D&C, in which the revelations of eternal progression through the three Kingdoms of Glory are specified. The Restoration did not remain stagnant, it progressed.

Edited by Bensalem