I Need Help With Home Evenings

Rosewood

My 16 yr old son and I are the only ones who live in our home right now. We're both very active at church; callings, priesthood, seminary, etc. But I have sooo much trouble with Family night. Teenagers are a challenge no matter what the situation is. He's too old for some of the silly little things that used to thrill him and with just the 2 of us, well, I'm pretty sure he gets kind of bored with mom. We live WAY up in the mountains with no TV, movie theaters, or even neighbors near. We've used seminary and institute lesson books for family night, but it turns into something like "homework". (I used to homeschool him). He's interested in studying the New Testament right now so that might be a place to start.

Any suggestions? Please? :(

there are a lot of fun and motivating books and talks and thing designed for teens through deseret book. you might could try getting some of those and listening, reading, and/or talking about them together. also just doing things, like teaching him to cook things that will come in handy when he leaves home for college or mission and is short on budget and time. you know inexpencive, healthy, easy, etc. that's all i got for now.

Maybe I'm getting too uptight about this. The activites you mentioned are things we do almost every night. He used to dance with me in the kitchen, so I ralized he probably would like to learn swing so we took lessons. We had so much fun, but that was on WED.

It is getting more difficult to get him into the kitchen these days with homework, sports and "My Space".

We've got John Bytheway memorized (he's so great!) We also listen to other books on tape almost daily; some lds some not.

We went to a Fireside that was a little odd on Tue. about making creation work with science, sort of apolagetic. It's just 1 hr 20 min to church and back and it wasn't worth it that night.

One thing I have thought of recently is more service. I suggested we take our old church magazines to Dr. offices, laundry mats. etc. He liked it. It wasn't our usual 'sing at the old folks home'.

We actually should concentrate more on his mission. that is a good idea for us. Thank you ALmom.