Baptism For The Dead

Holly3278

I have heard that Mormons practice baptism for the dead. I don't understand what this is and why it is done. Also, how is this Biblical?

Temples

Temples are houses of the Lord, the most sacred structures on the earth.

Anciently, the Lord directed Solomon to build a temple (1 Chronicles 28:1). After Jesus Christ restored His Church through Joseph Smith, He again directed that temples be built.

In the temples, Church members participate in ordinances designed to unite their families together forever and help them return to God.

In the temples, members

Learn eternal truths

Receive sacred ordinances, including those that bind husband and wife together for eternity, as well as join children and parents (Malachi 4:5)

Provide ordinances such as baptism for those who have died without the opportunity to receive the gospel (1 Peter 4:6; 1 Corinthians 15:29)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ChristianHumphrey

Isnt that most awesome thing you have ever heard!!!! "Save yourselve and all your dead" What an awesome concept like his links show it was practiced in the church Jesus had set up..

Cornithians 15:29

" Else what shall they do which are baptized before the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?"

Jesus did say ye had to be baptized to enter into the kingdom of heaven the Church allows everyone to be baptized even those who had died..

Another Tid bit

Lds Church-Only single organized Church that is in what 165 nations i think is prob more then that .I would imagine Irag is next if we not there already

Lds Church is also the only Church on the planet that has 12 Apostles...Hmm...didnt Jesus ordain 12 Apostles???

• 2 weeks later...

Isnt that most awesome thing you have ever heard!!!! "Save yourselve and all your dead" What an awesome concept like his links show it was practiced in the church Jesus had set up..

Cornithians 15:29

" Else what shall they do which are baptized before the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?"

Jesus did say ye had to be baptized to enter into the kingdom of heaven the Church allows everyone to be baptized even those who had died..

Another Tid bit

Lds Church-Only single organized Church that is in what 165 nations i think is prob more then that .I would imagine Irag is next if we not there already

Lds Church is also the only Church on the planet that has 12 Apostles...Hmm...didnt Jesus ordain 12 Apostles???

The baptism Jesus was speaking of is a spiritual baptism, not physical (by water). John came baptizing by water, but Jesus came baptizing with the Holy Spirit. Anyone being baptized for the dead does not grant that person already passed entrance into the kingdom of heaven.

Paul wasn't condoning the act of baptizing for the dead, but was asking, "if you do not believe in a resurrection, why do you who practice this baptizing for the dead do it? It's of no use if they in fact do not rise." Each individual has there time in this life to make a decision to follow Jesus Christ or to deny Him. It is the believing on the Son of God for salvation that saves a man. The ritual of baptism for the dead is futile because it creates a different path to salvation (other than through faith alone) for the one being baptized for. Not only that, but if this work can make provision for another, then one man's salvation is attained by the works of another. The Scriptures say that each man will have to give an account for his own deeds. I cannot do something on your behalf which would save you; I cannot accept Jesus as my Savior for your salvation.

Nothing precludes the idea of water being present in John 3:5. The question was in regards to a second birth that indicates the one asking the question thought water would pre present at the second birth. Jesus does not say the second birth involved only Spirit.

We are baptized for the dead so that they can have a chance to attain the highest degree of glory (you may know it as Heaven). Everyone can use a hand once in a while and it's our responsibility, since we're able, to help our fellow predecessors. Baptism for the dead basically is like opening a door that's too heavy for a friend... bad analogy, but i think you get my drift.

please ask if i don't make sense cuz i tend to not. . . :blush: