Rebaptism

MattS

If I have been inactive for quite a number of years, can I request to be rebaptised?

I just feel I have been away for so long that I would not feel right just "resuming" where I left off.

If you ask, you'll be told that rebaptism is only for those who have formally lost their membership in the Church.

More importantly, though, I think you should look at your time away from the Church as a part of your character and identity. Forsake your sins, but don't forsake your past. One of the wonderful things about repentance is that our journeys off of the path Christ set for us can still give us insight and wisdom in making better choices in the future. Don't think of it as resuming where you left off--that's too binary an poorly reflects reality. Think of it as returning from a trip where your experience gives you important insights that can help enrich the lives of your fellow saints.

Yes, but I cant remember all my sins.

(this will sound more terse than I intend it to be)

And that makes you unique how?

I've been a part of the Church my entire life and I can't remember all my sins either. But remember every sin and all those details isn't what is important. Remembering how you felt and what you felt that made you decide that it wasn't making you happy is what is important.

We don't expect you to be the poster child for what happens when you live your life outside the boundaries of the Church. We expect you to use your experience to uplift and edify those around you.

If I have been inactive for quite a number of years, can I request to be rebaptised?

No. Thats why we have the Sacrament

I just feel I have been away for so long that I would not feel right just "resuming" where I left off.

So being re-baptized is more as some symbol to yourself that you have changed?

The point of baptism and the Sacrament is to take part in the atonement. If you got re-baptized, you are kind of saying that the Sacrament isn't enough of the Atonement for me.

I hope by picking up where you left off means you were close with your Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I think thats the whole point of forgiveness.