Sealing Clearence or cancellation?

JamesKnightwell

I have been single for almost two years. I got a divorced after my ex wife starting secretly seeing someone else and when confronted wouldn't give him up, they are still together now. I have been dating a girl that I met months afterwards for a while and we are now engaged.I know I have to be cleared by the first presidency . Do I need to apply for a sealing cancellation or a clearance or is it both? What is the fastest route to go? We want to get married on July 30th, 7 months from now. How long do these things usually take? I've heard horror stories of years today when I spoke to my bishop. Someone said that if you were engaged they went only a month or two. Any information anyone could provide would be most helpful.

You still need to go through the Bishop. Its in the Handbook he has. I do think I have heard that it goes a little quicker if you are engaged. But I think it also requires some part from your Ex (I think she might have to sign something). You bishop has all that stuff. If he doesn't know where to start he should talk to the stake president.

I just asked my husband who is sitting three feet. After his divorce, his first wife requested a cancellation and received it. When we decided to get married, he then requested a clearance. With your first wife still living, I believe you will need to first get a cancellation of that sealing, then a separate clearance to be sealed to your new lady. Hopefully you can do the two at more or less the same time.

Your ex will need to submit a letter for your clearance. With my husband's ex, this was done via her bishop. Since your bishop is clueless, I suggest talking to the stake president and hopefully he knows more.

Personal experience: we were fretting about the time frame for getting the clearance. My husband received it about two weeks after the paperwork got in the mail. Very cool. We were engaged.

You do not have to get a sealing cancellation as far as I know. You need to ask for a sealing clearance. The sealing cancellation comes in if your ex wants to remarry. I do not know how long it will take. My sealing cancellation (not clearance) took almost an entire year because we could not find my ex.

Good luck with your plans,

Mags

My mom was married to my step-father. He had previously been married in the temple and his 1st wife had left him and re-married. My mother and step-father married civilly. They weren't able to get their own temple sealing cleared for some years. I believe there had to be something done with his first wife and some other things. You definitely need to talk to your bishop. He will work with the stake president for anything he doesn't understand, and you can also talk to the stake presidency if you still don't understand things yourself.